In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My new fishing rig...

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
well for one my classes we had to find design and build something that could be driven hydraulically driven by either pumps, motors, both or what not. so we thought a paddle boat would be a good idea.

first we took out the paddles...i mean who really wants to paddle one of those damn things anyway? then we fabricated our ghetto mount for our motor (that ladder looking thing...but hey it works...) plumbed our lines, put in a flow control for our throttle, ran our electrical for our solenoid, starter and power unit.

looks pretty simple, which it kinda was. but in 1 weeks time it went from a boat that was horrid..into this spray painted...mexi-chromed rocket on water :roll:

believe it or not, it moves pretty flippin good in both forward AND reverse (that was tricky getting the right cartridge valve so when we reversed our pump...we would have reverse, again we were trying to make the laziest fishing rig we could.

PIC #1. the (2) "missle switches" are for our power (left) and forward/reverse (right) also in the picture you can see the flow control, which in turn is our throttle, we can really fine tune how fast we go by that knob. the "pop" holders were done by somebody else (we are not sure who...so those have been re-done since the pics) the plate in the middle CAMC is what im going to school for... Center for Automation and Motion Control. and the mexi-chrome cover in the foreground is a cover for our battery and other electronics...electrocution is fun and all.....

401936.JPG

PIC #2. just a frontal view of the boat. when we first got it, it was all a faded orange color...obviously an older boat that had been in the sun for 15-20yrs, so in the pic is our 1st layer of paint. should be pretty sharp when its done. the cover you see is made of lexan (plexi-glass) which covers our motor, power unit, electronics. so we figure its like a 2-in-1...a cover...which is also a sun deck...great for the ladies! :wink:
401937.JPG

PIC #3 a view of the motor..well kinda, the power unit, and how the paddles are driven..shown without the lexan cover.
401949.JPG

PIC #4. a pic of one of the guys i worked with. just testing today before the storm came threw...not 100% done..but 99% in the pic. grading was today....so a day on the lake. we got some nice videos of it....but im lost when it comes to uploading `em.....
401940.JPG

and the best part is its actually pretty safe. we had 3 guys, plus all the extra crap pictured...went great, can turn on a dime...and still plenty bouyant.

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...well I'll be. Smart...and cool. A paddle boat that you don't have to paddle...[:D]
    ...So, it's pretty much a pump (simplified) that circulates water for propulsion?
    ...Electric is...12v DC batt(s)?
    ...kinda like an inboard? I am tech challanged...so be gentle...[;)]

...I am always humbled by people by people that are so smart...[:0]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

...So, it's pretty much a pump (simplified) that circulates water for propulsion?

thats a hydraulic pump. Whats the reason for the 420 or 40 chain? You could get more speed out of smaller chain. Thats one heck of an idea though. What was the final cost of this contraption?

Did you hook 2 12volts in parellel or what?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the 12v (regular ole deep cycle) only powers the "power unit" below, which holds the fluid, relief valve and what not. we have a variable resistor to adjust the amount of 'juice' we want to draw.

the reason for the 40 chain was for strength, not speed. we had a different, smaller, chain and also a different sprocket/gear combination. this was the best combination we tried, plus a paddle boat can only paddle so much water. we swapped out the old plastic paddles with new lexan paddles. we wanted something lighter, stronger and we made them a little bigger to push more water.

the pump doesnt do anything with circulating the water... like schoff said its a hydraulic PUMP...which feeds the hydraulic MOTOR its fluid..which turns the sprockets/gears, which turn the shaft to which the paddles are attached to.

the cost out of our pocket was like $100. (misc. LED switches, paint, hood ornamanents, crap like that) other than that, the school flipped the bill. we are thinking probably around 1k.

it was just something fun to do in a couple days. that and ill save on gas this season [;)]
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Vary cool. I am playing with the idea of a pulse jet engine.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    the 12v (regular ole deep cycle) only powers the "power unit" below, which holds the fluid, relief valve and what not. we have a variable resistor to adjust the amount of 'juice' we want to draw.

Aw, so you control how much the motor turns rather then the flow of the motor, it was probably cheaper and lighter that way. Although, you could have found a valve from an old tractor and put a foot pedle on it, two way valve and you have a reverse and forward, and a control for speed. All of that without having to reverse the pump.

quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    the reason for the 40 chain was for strength, not speed. we had a different, smaller, chain and also a different sprocket/gear combination.

Did you try racing chain? Its a lot stronger then your average garden store chain. But again, i guess you can only paddle so much water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MN and shoff, ya'll just keep talking.
    ...and oneshot and I will listen and learn...[:D]
    ...bloviator
    bub.gif
    ...oneshot
    bub.gif
    ...gothcha on the "power" part now, very cool...you get to keep it?
    man, need to find you a ranch lake, or farm pond now...[8D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Schoff - in the first pic, the knob on the right hand side is our flow control. thats what controls our flow, in turn speed. we can more or less find our "cruising speed" with our flow control, then we adjust how much battery power we are using...otherwise the power unit is getting more juice than it needs.

race chain? you gotta remember we threw this together in a week. we dont need that much strength...or speed [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when i steal your idea, i just need to know what things you have tried and haven't. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    when i steal your idea, i just need to know what things you have tried and haven't. [:D]

i can give you the specs of everything we have...give you a head start [;)][:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Uhh....either of you smart fellas wanna build one for me?[:I]

Oh buy the way very cool, hope you get a good grade on it.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look like a lot of fun....Interesting set up
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    gothcha on the "power" part now, very cool...you get to keep it?
    man, need to find you a ranch lake, or farm pond now...[8D]

its already loaded, and im on my way to your place...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...just let me know when you'll be here...always welcome someone to fish and shoot with...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    MN;
    I bet that thing's as quiet as a mouse at slow-trollong speed.U may be onto somthing there...
    1.Light weight.(no trailor/tag needed)
    2.Economical.(no fuel,just batt.charger)
    3.Safe.(slow speed ,very bouyant)
    4.Stealthy.(practicaly silent wile trolling)
    5.Clean.(for the tree-huggers)
    6.Cost efective.(1k or less to assemble)
    Could be a "NOBEL" prize in it for you ..[:D]
    Jeff
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you consider a belt drive? the chain migh be a little bit noisy?