In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WHAT A BATTLE !!!!!

peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Thought I had a monster !!! I had just hooked (and let get away) a fairly nice Largemouth Bass, maybe 4 pounds. I cast to the same spot hoping he would strike again. Felt a tug on the line and set the hook !!!! The fight was on !!!
When I got it in, I didn't even know what it was !!! Had to look it up on the computer when I got home. Forgot my camera again, dang it!
It was about 20 inches long. It had some nasty looking teeth![:0]
Pull it up on the computer to read more about it. Very interesting.
Florida record is 19 pounds - this one was about five.

bowfin.jpg

Ever catch one of these ? A Bowfin----never heard of it.

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ugly arent they? we call them 'dog fish' here in minnesota. its the same thing...catch them all the time ice fishing. every time i hook one fishing from a boat...i NEVER bring them in...they crap EVERYWHERE...if i cant get the hook out with the fish in the water...just cut my line...or beat the living crap out of them...then get my hook back [}:)][}:)]...

like you said, they put up a heckuva fight.

im sure you wont forget your camera next time... [;)][:D]
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I would have beat the crap out of this one too, but my wife came down to the lake to see what I caught and was having a fit for me to "---get it back in the water !!! How would you like to have someone hold your head under water
    ". Well, I put it back after I got the hook out with a pair of pliers. Yep, I think the ugliest fish I ever saw. The computer search says that they have many names, including 'dog fish', as you said, 'mud fish' and several more. A new one for me.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]

...we call them Grinnels...I think, just seen other people catch 'em, ugly...[:0]

Never felt like I missed much by not catching one...[:D]

WHAT A CATCH Mr.P!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    willdallas2006willdallas2006 Member Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I caught one of those a few years ago. It snapped the line when i was trying to net it. I wasnt really too disapointed that it got away once I saw it though. It was the only one that I have ever seen and I didnt even know what it was, until a few minutes ago, when I went to look at pictures to see what you were talking about.
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grinnel, Bowfin, slimy nasty mean dogfighting SOB's. They sure do put up one hell of a fight but they are nasty nasty fish.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While fishing on some backwater on the Flint River in Albany, Georgia in 1971, my wife hooked a fish on a dead minnow. She was using a cane pole with 20 lb. mono line and a small steel hook. After about 20 minutes we boated the thing. We were later told it was a bowfin. It at 23 pounds. We gave it away because we were told they were not good tablefare. Talk about a whale of a fight, though, they don't come any better than a bowfin on a small cane pole!
    What's next?
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a little info on the bowfin
    http://www.bowfinanglers.com/bowfininfo.html

World Record Bowfin
    LB-OZ
    Bowfin 21-8 Florence, SC Jan. 29, 1980 Robert L. Harmon
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caught one on Lake Fork once. Chased a silver Stanley vibrashaft spinner bait and hit it five or six times before it hooked itself. Goofy fish, but one heck of a fight.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Becoming popular for aquariums too since snakeheads are banned...
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    My wife caught one---it bit her on the hand and she wasn't happy about it at all[:D][:D]

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/