In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More Collectible Fishing Lures

rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
These are the very popular Heddon Punkinseeds in several sizes including the older wooden models and the more recent plastics. These haven't been made since the middle to late 1950's I don't believe.

This is one of the first attempts by a major lure company to produce a lure that was something other than round in shape!! Early wooden lures were produced using a lathe. The Punkinseeds required other special milling and shaping.

As before, thanks for looking and let me know if you have some for sale.

168086286.jpg

Comments

• rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These little fellows are plastic and made by the Heddon company and are called River Runties. They are only approx. 1 1/4" long and are flyrod lures. The Goldfish colored one in the middle of the set was only made one year--1938. The Blackshore one next to it is the most difficult to find. That Black & White color is very common in all other Heddon lures, but for some reason, pretty hard to find in the Runties. These lures are near mint in condition.

There are a couple color variations that I don't have and there is a solid Yellow one know to exist. I saw it at the National show last year--I'm still looking for one to add to his little brothers in my collection.

Heddon made lots of plastic/Tenite baits in the early 1930's. Most people think that plastic is a new product, but it is near 70 years old!! Most of the early lures made of plastic look like they have been in a house fire due to the shrinkage in the plastic.

Thanks for looking and if you get tired of seeing them, just let me know. I love to show them off.

168090029.jpg

One can sure invest a lot of money in a small package like this--the case is only 9" X 5" !!
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Lets see more, I like em.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...these look like some of the forerunners to the "Balsa B" of the crankbait world...hmmm, seems like some of the bait co's do as I do...look back at old baits that work...and come out with a "new" one...[:D]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Heddon Punkinseed is flat sided. It has the shape of a bluegill or crappie. Some were sinkers and some were floaters. Early ones were wooden and later ones were plastic. That seems to be about the way they all evolved. I guess that the handwork involved in making a wooden lure with glass eyes was just too costly?

It is interesting to note that these lures are being "reintroduced" to the market in several new and interesting colors. The makers have agreed to stamp them in some way so as not to let them be confused with the originals.

Counterfiet lures are becoming a problem in the collecting world--even boxes are being reproduced. Where there is money-crooks show-up it seems!!

More lures later!
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice lures remember fishing with these in 50's and 60's whos making the new ones.tks hedge[:D]
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold a Punkinseed and a Scissortail on E-Bay a couple of months ago.I bought the Punkinseed new many years ago and it still looked new.I don't remember where the Scissortail came from.