In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

World Record Black Crappie

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Just got home from vacation in Central Missouri. While I was there, I stopped off at the Bass Pro Shop in Columbia, MO. In the fish tank was the World's Record Black Crappie. 5.02 pounds.

It was caught back in April and has been recognized as the Missouri State Record as well as the world record.....quite a fish.

Makes the 13-14 inchers we were catching look like minnows......

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet it was a sight to see! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WE HAVE SOME REAL NICE CRAPPIE HERE IN MISSOURI. A LOT OF THE LARGER ONES COME FROM PONDS. TRUMAN HAS SOME REALLY NICE CRAPPIE.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I missed your thread....It was cool to actually see the monster.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...dang, and to think Ive been chunking the little ones like that back...[:D][:0]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I believe that Crappie records are one record that probably gets beat every year, and served for dinner without anybody knowing that they've caught a record. I personally know of one 6lber caught by a man who's word I would never doubt.

Ben
  • Options
    Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FISHERMANBEN....you have no idea how right you are. I have a customer who just last week I was telling him about that big crappie caught up in Missouri and how it looked almost freakish. He pulls out a picture and says " Did it look bigger than this one??" His sister was fishing a private lake in Louisiana and caught a HUGE Crappie. They didn't get to weigh it but it measured 23.5 inches long and 21 and 3/4 around. I've seen the picture with my own 2 eyes with her holding it. THIS THING IS HUGE. The old man who owned the lake came by and asked them if they wanted him to take some of the fish in for them so they would have an empty livewell. They said sure and told him they wanted to keep the big one. Well he thought they meant to eat for themselves. So after they took a picture of it and gave it to the old man. He filleted it. Funny though they did weigh the fillets and they weighed almost 4 lbs. He said he's had 3 or 4 taxidermists look at the picture and they guessed the weight anywhere between 7-7.5lbs all without being told what the others guessed.