In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hundreds of dead bass on the miss. river

2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
http://wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5186866

And they call themselves professional fisherman. I think professional fish killers is a much better way to describe them.[:(!]

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...How "professional" was the tournement? A sanctioned tourney, or a local club type? Makes a big difference. The pros KNOW how to handle fish, penalized bigtime for a dead fish at weigh in...seldom happens.
    There is no factual evedence that catch and release fish die, especially in that number.
    There would have to have been at least 50 fisherman, catch 12 bass each...then have every single one die, I rather doubt that. There is another marine biological reason I think...maybe the fish flu...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are just up stream from the La Crosse area and there have been several warnings about fish mortality with the unusually warm water. Most of these reports are from the Lake Peppin area up to Red Wing. http://www.kttc.com/News/index.php?ID=4706 is one story that comes to mind.
    edited November -1
    ...a lot of die off's happen when a body of water, usually fairly small, looses it's oxy...usually during a prolonged hot spell...[;)]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
    edited November -1
    Bloviator
    True enough, but Lake Peppin is really big and has the Mississippi running through it. You would think the moving water would give the fish a better chance.
    edited November -1
    dc, oh [:D], I did not know, but... If it was still way hot, or just normal hot...there is a thermocline. There is the warmer surface layer of water, x feet in depth. Then there is the thermocline, x feet in depth. Then the "rest of the water to the bottom. Fish don't venture and stay in the thermocline, no nutriements, none, or little oxy, so, no "food chain".
    The thermoc. sets up in every body of water at around 73-75 degrees.

...Dependent on how deep the body of water, and hot the air temp is, relates directly to how "thick" the thermoclne is.
    Sorry, not scientific (i, before e,..except after c?[8D]) , but hope understandable...I fish, shoot and hunt...I don't do pointy head stuff...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    Thanks.
    We do work a lot of thermoclines fishing on the great lakes for trout and salmon. For these species, water temp is critical for good fishing. We even put on a depth raider temp/speed sensor for the downrigger that transmits wirelessly to the boat. Neat gizmo, too bad it cost so much. Really helped find the active fish.
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the DNR of minn. and mich are doing a study of fish caught in tournaments.walleye may be on news again tonight tks hedge