In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ROUGH day out!!

hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
Went to Beaufort, NC to visit the folks this past weekend, and decided to take my dad and 9 yr old son out on the Captain Stacy out of Atlantic Beach for a half day trip on Sunday. Well, lemme tell you....I grew up on the water and have seen my fair share of rough water, and Sunday was ROUGH!! That big 'ol head boat was just getting swallered up in some 8'-10' seas!
It's so funny to watch all the newbs getting green around the gills...had the first "casualty" on the way out of the inlet before it really got bouncy...the "brothers" on board never stood a chance...I think I saw one able to fish after we anchored up. Out of about 35 people on board, only six were not hurling repeatedly. My #1 son did just fine![^] Caught grouper, grunts, dolphin and a couple of snake kings. Good eatin!! And worth all the rockin' and rollin' we took to get out.
If any of you happen to be vacationing in Carteret county, book yourself a trip...great crew, great boat, and good fishing!!
Just remember to take your dramamine![;)]

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    My first time out I turned canned green pea green, really. [:D]
    (60' catamaran, twin screw that was brand new, nice) ...but so did all but 2 of around 50 other people, and 5 of the 7 deck hands...captain was fine...the only reason the boat went out....it was it's maiden trip, it was ROUGH! Since then, charter boats, and they won't go out with seas that high. The boat would ride up on a swell, and when it came down...water would spray 40' feet to the left & right of the bow. The bow of the boat was dropping, freefalling , about 8-10 freakin feet, I know, I was out on the bow, on the middle of the deck..and when t it would go up...I'd bend my knees and ride it up...then, it would drop out from under me...then come back up, bend your knees to absorb the shock...and do it again...whoo-hoo!...till the captain yelled at me over a loud speaker to STOP...hell, getting back off the bow was hard.

I was fine, till we stopped. I hung a big fish, fought it for about 15 min, turned green...and was SICK for the next 8 freakin hours[:0]
    As soon as I had my feet back on real, non moving, wonderful, solid ground...I was fine.

I ask one of the deckhands that had not got sick, why? He said "sea legs" and...a few Saltines, nothing else. So...I approached the rest of my party, who were the 2 OTHERS had not gotten sick, and said "lets go back out when the boats ready in two hours". They thought the sea sickness had rendered me nuts.

We went back out, did not get sick...been out 100 times since,got my sea legs, never sick, part of THAT, may be that I know how sick you really get, and it don't get better till you are on firm ground, period...and I don't want to get that sick again for that long...never been that nauseated for 8 freaken hrs[:0][:D][xx(]

Never went on "cattle" boats after that, always chartered little ones...too many dumb * people.

He he,a friend of mine went out his first time([:D][:D]) he got sick INSTANTLY ([:D][:D]) and it was a 12 hr trip [:D][:D]
    After an hour he tried everything to get the captain to go back![:D]
    Offered him 2 grand[:D], no dice. SO, he asked the captain to call in an oil rig chopper to pick him up, a CG chopper to rescue him[:D][:D][:D]...he was sick for 12 hours[^][:D][:D][:D]

Lure.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Lake Michigan with 5' rollers in a 18' Ranger salmon fishing. Didn't get sick til after we got back to land. Laying in bed that night it felt like I was still on the boat.
  • hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love that feeling....especially when you're back on land, in the shower, close your eyes to wash out the shampoo....and fall right out of the shower stall when the floor moves on you! [:D][:I]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hissinggoose
    I love that feeling....especially when you're back on land, in the shower, close your eyes to wash out the shampoo....and fall right out of the shower stall when the floor moves on you! [:D][:I]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm like the Chief and hissingoose. When I was in the Army and we were doing quals or re-quals I was fine out in the rollers. In fact, Buddy Bradshaw was barfing up the box lunch hambuger over the side and I was right there talking him through it... In between heaves he tried to tell me what he thought of me.

All the small stuff wasn't bad. Most of our guys got ill though. I razzed them about it. But when we got on dock it was like I couldn't walk to save my life. At night when we were done I was rocking along with the waves but they weren't moving. We did a lot of dives out of the Zodiacs so the chops was a lot faster than if you were in a bigger vessel. Spent a few green nights in the cot and breakfast didn't want to stay down, but they were fun trips.