In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How To Catch A Big Bass

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
If you had to chose a lure or bait to catch a big largemouth bass, what would you use?

I fish alot and catch many small bass, but would like to see if anyone has an opinion on what bait what bait would tempt a large bass.

I have caught one seven pound bass on a spinner bait, several over five pound bass on spinner baits and crank baits.

Comments

• beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you had to chose a lure or bait to catch a big largemouth bass, what would you use?

I fish alot and catch many small bass, but would like to see if anyone has an opinion on what bait what bait would tempt a large bass.

I have caught one seven pound bass on a spinner bait, several over five pound bass on spinner baits and crank baits.
  • csdog08csdog08 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always done great with the slider products or a standard rubber worm. If pushed to a choice I would pick a K&E three hook pre-rigged worm rig in purple with white stripe. My biggest bass (5lbs 1 oz) came off this rig and the smallies will tear it up as well. By the way, any bass over 4 lbs in Michigan is bragging territory. [:D]We just don't get the monsters like the southern states. Rick
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    The bait that I have the most confidence in is the Zoom Super Fluke, color---watermelon red. I rig it Carolina style and fish it in deeper water. Present it slow, big fish will not chase a fast moving lure unless they are really hungry.

Thanks---Peabo
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Bloviators Texas Top Waters [:D]

10ih3xc.jpg
  • beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, slow is good. Very good. Here in East Texas we have had the introduction of the Florida strain bass and the bass are getting bigger all the time. Five pounders are not as big a deal as they once were, neither is a ten pounder.

I still fish a few lakes with no Florida's in them and caught a five pounder earlier this year one a crappie jig and six pound line.

I have been using bigger crank baits; but I'm beginning to think I'll have to wait to spring to catch anything bigger.

Who knows. I caught my seven pounder in June.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two biggest Largemouth bass I have caught were on a #3 Blue Fox inline spinner with white skirts. 9lb 1 0z and 7lb 5 oz.

The majority of the 5 lb plus LM Bass I have caught have been on either rubber worms or white spinnerbaits.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    A 6" golden shiner about a foot below a small float, wiht a 2/0 hook thru the nose.

Artificials? All of my big bass have been caught on rubber worms, worked really slooooowwwwww....
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Can't help I only catch little smallies.[:(] I haven't tried it yet but I've been told to catch a blue gil, cut him up a little, and put him under a bobber while he is still kicking. I'm still trying it with artificial stuff.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    purple rubber worm(7.5 inches long) rigged on a bright ytellow jib w/ red hook, black eyes, and white pupil[:D]