In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How To Catch A Big Bass

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
If you had to chose a lure or bait to catch a big largemouth bass, what would you use?

I fish alot and catch many small bass, but would like to see if anyone has an opinion on what bait what bait would tempt a large bass.

I have caught one seven pound bass on a spinner bait, several over five pound bass on spinner baits and crank baits.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    If you had to chose a lure or bait to catch a big largemouth bass, what would you use?

I fish alot and catch many small bass, but would like to see if anyone has an opinion on what bait what bait would tempt a large bass.

I have caught one seven pound bass on a spinner bait, several over five pound bass on spinner baits and crank baits.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    why did you post this twice?[;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beagle,

My best bass came on a weedless frog spoon riding over the top of the moss drug as slowly as I could stand! Getting the big bass is almost like getting the big buck or the big bull elk. 1) your lucky being in the right spot and right time. or 2) you did your homework and tracking and found where the big one hangs out and what he eats and when he moves to what cover in what temperatures...and what is going to get him to come out and snap on what you throw to him! The first is just as it says...LUCK! The second is based on experience. Think every time you see him hit. don't be lost in thought when you need to focus on him. What did he take? time/ temp etc. time of year. You'll start to see the patterns of the biggest bass in each lake you fish over time.

To specifically answer your question I would take a large frog type lure or minnow. Those have worked best for me on bass. The guy who has repeatedly caught the ever increasing state record for Minnesota uses a minnow lure. I understand the people have caught some huge bass down South using worms or fake worms. -good luck and keep trying.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cause I got home late and thought I messed up. Looked again. Posted twice. NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was still disapointed that no one's posting here so I posted twice.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...scum frogs or lizards...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...scum frogs or lizards...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif

ahh come Richard we know you use your homemade lure to catch the big ones [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...sheeet, man Im sorry...I have been busy (no excuse) more lazy in this heat. My work area is not air conditioned, and all I did was get started on baits then it's been 100+ since we talked last, 120+ in my work area...Been 100+ up to 107 for the last 8-9 days alone. A lot of bass on my baits, but the big(5+) have been on plastics, oh no! Wait a minute! I did catch a 30 pounder on one of mine, forgot...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

ani-texas-flag.gif