In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man speared by 800 lbs. blue marlin

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited August 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
HAMILTON, Bermuda (AP) -- A fisherman was recovering from surgery after he was speared in the chest and knocked into the Atlantic Ocean by a blue marlin during a fishing competition off Bermuda's coast.

Ian Card, 32, was in stable condition at King Edward VII Hospital in the British Island territory from a wound that his doctor said could have been fatal.

"He was very lucky," said Dr. Christian Wilmsmeier. "It was a very serious injury."

Card and his father, Alan, both operators of a charter fishing boat and experienced marlin fishermen, had just hooked the fish Saturday when it suddenly leapt out of the water, impaled Ian Card just below his collar bone and knocked him into the ocean.

"The fish all of a sudden changed direction and jumped. The fish made a leap and Ian just happened to be in the way," Alan Card said.

The younger fisherman managed to struggle free while his father cut the line and helped his son get back into their boat, the Challenger.

They managed to make it back to shore in about 40 minutes for emergency medical treatment.

The fishermen estimated the marlin at about 800 pounds (363 kilograms) and about 14 feet (4.3 meters) in length.

Comments

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...happens several times a year[:0] Fish makes a run at the boat, fisherman is strapped into a fighting chair, fish jumps, fisherman gets speared[:0] Can't imagine getting hit with that much weight and force...and getting skewered at the same time...gotta HURT!...[:D]

Lure_3.gif

warpaint_thumb.jpg

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's how they get even with us[:0]
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Pays to wear some chainmail while out on the pond.[:D]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    alledan,

OK...that's it! When I get the money to go Marlin fishing I'm gonna harness myself to the bridge and give myself the full left and right of the afterdeck so's this ain't going to happen to me. I ain't strapping myself into a chair where they can get a bullseye on me! That had to hurt...not to mention how much it's going to hurt while he heals up.
  • yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why I stay inland and trout fish[:D]