In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pond Walleye

keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
edited December 2006 in The Fishing Hole!
I have dug a pond out of solid clay. It is about 1 acre with a maximum depth of 26 ft. I then lined the banks with sandy gravel lots of it. Then I stocked it with walleye, hybrid blue gill, and lots of fat head minnows. It is not spring fed with the only source of water is snow meld and rain.
Now for the part that shocked me, they are reproducing with size ranging from 26" on down to minnows, with a full range of size in between.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Options
    Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't heard of that happening, but WOW![:0] Where is your pond that you made? Sounds like you've got a winner there.
  • Options
    keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pond is about 18 mi. east of Holland Mi. I'll try to post a arial photo of it. Pond is about 6 yrs. old now and keeps getting nicer every yr. If anyone would like a nice pond of their own I now have my large dozer for sale (Dresser TD 25 E $28,000)
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression walleye and ponds did'nt work.We built a 15 acre pond years ago stocked it with hybrid gills,and large mouth.Crappies came in with the gill fry and perch self started.Have seen3 lb crappies,2 lb gills and 4-8 lb bass on a regular basis.Will build the new 12 acre pond this year and would be interested in the walleye thing for sure.Send more info please.Here are the average gills from the pond 14-16 oz
    gunstractorsbunkhouse040.jpg