In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Walleye techniques

Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
I'm curious as to what is/are the most effective techniques in Minnesota lakes to catch walleye. In Nebraska, where I'm from, drifting livebait rigs is for the most part the most effective. What is the best technique when targeting walleye during mid to late May? Generally what pattern are they in that time of the year? In Nebraska, they're already spawned and heading toward deeper water that time of the year. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jig and minnow is the easiest and most used. Followed closely by pulling bottom bouncers with minnows or leaches. We also pull a lot of crank baits in current, always up stream, on 3-way rigs. That time of year they are fairly easy to catch.
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCSO- is nuts on with the techniques. this year, red tails have worked wonders for me (been up there 3x) they are about $6-8/dozen (if you can find them...but they do work VERY WELL) bottom bouncers...lindy rigs whatever you want to call them also work well. once you get set on a lake...rape me and dcso for everything we're worth (FYI...get 1 of his lures...they work very well [;)])

ohh also, if you dont want to use live bait, a simple colored jig head and a twin twister tail will also work (ive found the twin works better than the single tail..either white or yellow).
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MNHunter
    I agree on the double working better than the single twister across almost all kinds of fish. Bass, Northern, Walleye... down to crappie. As for the "red-tails" , we also call them rainbow shiners... You know how the lingo changes with the bait shop.

Also good to hear you liked the lure. How is the paint holding up? Did it get all soft and sticky? Some of them did. I can re-paint it, if you want.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCSO,
    Will those lures of yours work for me in upstate NY too? I would like to see what you got, if you are in the business. We mostly use bottom bouncers, with a worm harness in the Black River where I fish. It is really productive, but have seen times in the early season(it starts here, on the first Saturday in May), where a stick, or shallow running crank bait on the shallow flats works well too.