In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walleye photo

Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Just wanted to post a picture of my walleye last summer. Caught it in about 18' of water on a live leech. [:D] A lot of fun, my friend and I caught our limit that day (4 each). Good eating! [:D]Copyof6.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking fish. They are good eating, provided you catch them in cold water. I fish the Mississippi River near Red Wing. Catch and release, or catch and hang on the wall only! They are terrible to eat, or maybe I am spoiled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These were caught in water that was about 60 degrees and they were delicious. The big one wasn't the best to eat, probably should've let him go, but the rest (16"-20") were great to eat.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcso3009,

I have seen what goes into lake Pepin from up here around South St. Paul. I know there are laws preventing it but you never know. You're right it may be fun fishing but I don't trust it...

I would be a lot more inclined to keep something out of the Cannon River than from there. Were just twenty minutes north of there.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    holy c r a p ...i was just fishing lake pepin' last week. one of my best friends is the chief of police in a neighboring town!.....

next time im down there...ill have to give ya a jingle.

ohh btw; nice looking fish [:D]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...most excellent walleye! Your right, some of the best eatin there is...[:p]

baits015.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Living on Lake Erie, I get a lot of Walleye- well depending on how good the year is, but at least a dozen or so every year, with perhaps 50 or 60 in a good year.

Whether the lake is hot or cold, they're good eatin' if you eat 'em fresh that day. If you freeze them, they get a bit stronger- and 5 weeks or so is the max for any kind of good taste.

Gotta dust off the hip waders and go for some steelhead one of these weekends in a local river. Not the best eating fish, though not bad- and they sure can fight!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fish a lot for walleyes in the Adirondack region of New York, and am usually sucessful at limiting out in the 15-22 inch range. We have caught several 7, 8, &9 pounders, and they are not as good as the smaller ones to eat, but they are still the best white meat fresh water fish you can get! Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's pretty much what we were limiting out on. Most between 17-19" some smaller, some bigger. From now on, if I catch one that big, it's going back in the lake. It's not worth it to keep one like that, I should have let it go so I could have caught him this year. [;)]
  • Options
    stevenrayspeckstevenrayspeck Member Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Huntingnerd33
    That's pretty much what we were limiting out on. Most between 17-19" some smaller, some bigger. From now on, if I catch one that big, it's going back in the lake. It's not worth it to keep one like that, I should have let it go so I could have caught him this year. [;)]

Nice fish.

Which lake were you fishing at.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stevenrayspeck
    quote:Originally posted by Huntingnerd33

Nice fish.

Which lake were you fishing at.[?]

Thanks. Elwood Reservoir in Nebraska