In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good Walleye fishing!

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited August 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Dad and I went out yesterday in Lake Erie out in the islands area. We hadn't been out in a few weeks. The board at the bait store said they were biting east of Cedar Point, about a 10 mile run from East harbor.

It was pretty choppy with a northeast wind (which USUALLY means no fish biting) and waves running about 4-5 feet. But sunny, not humid, and very pleasant.

After a 45 min drive through the chop we stop. I toss out an Erie Dearie with an extra sinker added. Within 3 minutes, wham, a nice eating sized 18" 'eye. Then dad hits one 5 minutes later on a worm harness. Then I get one 10 minutes later. 3 fish in 20 minutes, plus a few white perch.

Then things kinda slowed down. We didn't get anything for 3 hours, and I moved back towards the harbor a bit. I hit one more off of the west side of Kellys Island, and hit 2 more just a mile off the Marblehead lighthouse- which is kinda odd, I rarely get Walleye there.

All told, I got 5, dad got 1- but I didn't feel too bad as he did the same to me last time we were out! All were 15 to 20 inches, just right for eating. None were too small (15 is the minimum here) and none were big and fatty- though those big ones sure are fun to catch!

Great day, sunburnt to all get out, and fresh fish for dinner- and boy did I sleep last night! So all you guys on Lake Erie, they're biting, get out! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool, My cousin charters on Erie.."Walleye Willie" I havent gotten out with him for a while. I quit eating the lake-fish a few years ago so I have lost most interest in going up there. Still like to find them and reel em in though.... I need to get out there atleast once this summer..... Spend most of my time in my little rig on Mosquito and Pymatuning chasing crappies,walleye and channels.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, I haven't been out in a few weeks now so who knows what's up? Someone, but not me.

Never have fished Mosquito or Pymatuming, a bit of a haul. I still eat walleye though, they're so good! I don't worry about the pollution too much, but wouldn't eat any right out of the rivers like the vermillion, huron, etc.
  • Options
    AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in AZ, but was back east for two weeks around July 4th.

On July 4th we went out on a charter out of the Astabula River out into Erie. The boat Capt. was pissed because it was slow but I got a 29" walleye and we got about a half-dozen others around 19" that day.

The true Walleye fans hate the Steelhead for the havoc they wreak on the lines when you have a slew of them out on Dipsy-Divers and whatnot. They can trash the whole array of lines and snap off spoons or bend the treble hooks all to hell.

We kept all the Steelies we caught that day. Capt. said we should've smacked 'em with his little bat and tossed them back in.

My dad lives on Pymatuning and we spend about 6 of the days I was back there on the lake, and we even went over to Mosquito, but didn't do very well.

My boy caught his first walleye on Pyamtuning, a real nice 19.5" one.

Here's a pic.

ed19.5inwalleye1.jpg

I miss PA sometimes. I could move the whole shop up there and live really well on my current customer load, but I can't leave my boy who is here with his Mom.