In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bamboo

moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
... I bought three bamboo flyrods at an auction today. Two of them are new in a cloth bag and aluminum cases, the other is a two-piece with a bag. All for $115.

Moose

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    meanie you should go to jail for that! [:D]
  • SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh Man! My wife has a standing order, whenever she leaves the house for yard-sailing, or flea-marketing....to pick up ANYTHING that can conceivably be used for fly fishing.

To date, my two best deals were a pristine ORVIS #8 reel, for 15 bucks, still with good line and backing installed, and an 8.5 foot no-name (handmade maybe?) bamboo flyrod. That one was given to me by a customer, who got it from his millionaire, go all over the world flyfishing brother-in-law, who had it in a yard sale, but it didn't sell. His no-sale, my ultimate gain. Caught a 3 pound catfish on that flyrod just the other day.

Dreams? About women? Naw....I dream about flyfishing bargains!

I recall the first flyfishing equipment I ever owned. I was sixteen (1966), and rode a BSA 500cc single lunger bike to work everyday on Kentucky Lake. I passed a little country store each way, and one day stopped in for an RC cola and Moonpie. On a table in the front of the store was a huge load of flyfishing equipment, mostly flies, poppers, lines, even a flyrod and reel. The owner was tired of looking at all the stuff and said, "Three dollars will buy it all". I bought it all.

Back home, I toted the money up, and at the printed prices on all the pieces, I had bought over three hundred dollars of flyfishing stuff for a measly three bucks.

Yeah, I love to remember those old days. I caught many a fish, learned how to fish even, on that cheapo find.

Sahagan
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...showed them one of my co-workers today...he was drooling! He liked them alot and said it was a great deal.
    Moose
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Know how to make a bamboo rod? I've got a large stand of black bamboo in my yard....