In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good day on the River....

SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
Six a.m., and you would have found me standing knee-deep (with waders) in the middle of Clark's River, near Murray, Kentucky. The light was so low, that for the first 15 or 20 minutes, I pretty much fished blind, although even at that I caught 6 fish right away. The day's bag (with 2 hours of fishing) was 18 to 20 fish, with one 12 or 14 inch bass, the others being bluegill, shellcracker, and sunfish.

And here's why. I've pretty much always fished for river fish (bream, bass, etc.) with poppers. A time or two, I've rigged up a drop a few inches above my popper, to add on a small wet fly, and have even, a couple of times, 'doubled up' catching two fish simultaneously.

Today, I tried something new. I tie onto the end of my leader or tippet, one of those tiny little curved spring-like terminal hooking devices. These allow you to change flies or poppers with ease, and even though they're small, I've landed fish up to five pounds easily, and in fact, have never had one bend out on me. If you get caught up in a tree (a distressingly regular thing for me), you'll break the line before you'll straighten out the little hooker.

So today, I used slightly lighter tippet material and, 1) took a piece about 18 inches long, and put on it another of the little hooking thingies, 2) then bringing both ends together, leaving the little spring hook on the line between the ends, brought each end through the 'eye' of the identical little spring hook at the end of my tippet (the eye is too small to manage both ends at the same time), 3) then bringing the two ends together, I pulled them far enough through the eye of the spring hook on the end of the tippet, to wrap both ends around my fingertip, then taking the little loop more or less tied a granny knot doubled. That made a knot too big to withdraw through the eye of that spring hook.

The result is a drop line hanging behind the popper, and allowing the wet fly to sink while the popper not only serves as a lure, but also as a 'float' or 'bobber' to indicate if a fish has taken the wet fly.

The result? I caught 3 fish on the drop line with wet fly, to every 1 fish caught on the popper. I didn't manage to double up today, but tomorrow may be different.

Fishing truly is a place to let your imagination, creativeness and genius (or lack thereof) find full play.

Sahagan