In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question??

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited November 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
What would be the best reel for catching large catfish around the 40 to 50 pound range?

Comments

• Options
    REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Garcia 6500 will handle them (casting reel)
    zebco makes an 808 i believe is the model # my Dad swore by them and caught lots of big cats
    get an ugly stick rod to fit 30-50 lb line to go with one of these.
    use the 30lb line myself but in lots of stumps or brush the 50 is better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK thanks> I will check those reels out as soon as i can get out to the sporting goods store.
  • Options
    John ClydeJohn Clyde Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big garcia reels are good, but for large flathead and blue cats, I would suggest a Penn 309 Levelwind a minimum, and would prefer a Penn 113 if you can live without a levelwind. Also, Penn makes a series of GTI levelwinds and something in a 330 or 345 would work well, also. Daiwa, Shimano, Okuma and others all make reels in this class, which is basically light salt water size. I would say something with 300 yds of 30lb line pretty much a minimum, if you expect to land very many. Nearly all of the models is suggested sell for around $100, or less. Get a Offshore Angler catalog, or a salWar on Terrorer catalog from Bass Pro and Cabelas, respectivly, and see what they have. Have Fun!!! John Clyde
  • Options
    REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i guess if you feel the need for a wench you can also look at the Garcia 7000. don't know what you will do with 300 yards of line where you will be catching that size cats, but i guess the more the better. reel depends on if you have to cast it or drop straight down, i own some penn 115's they don't cast, the 6500 will handle all the flatheads you will ever see ben there done that and the 7000 will also
    out cast any penn. just depends on if you are fishing or winching.have caught several 50-80 cats on both, 6500 and7000, and several stripe marlin on the 7000
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already have about 8 [salt water]Penn reels. My biggest one is Senator 4/0 on a Special Senator 9/0 rod and that is what I would call medium heavy wenching[:D]. The biggest spinning reel I have is a Ryobi SX-5. I don't really have much problem with casting the smaller Penn's as long as I have them weighted well

I just need a fresh water reel that will not crumble on the rod when I hit a big cat.
  • Options
    John ClydeJohn Clyde Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason I suggest the Penn reels, is the amount of drag you get out of them, as compared to smaller reels, Also, a Penn 309 is about 1/2 the price of a Garcia 7000. If you want to use a spinning reel, Daiwa makes some pretty good ones, also Penn and Shimano, among others. Also, go with something big, more for drag capacity than anything else. I usually use just 30lb Trilene Big Game line, because if you get hung up, the heavier line is a real gripe to break. Have fun![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    take a look at the daiwa sealine ld 30-II it's a 2 speed lever drag
    I use mine for salmon,halibut,tuna could be used for sturgon to
    I may sell my 30 and get a 20. put one on a ugly stick and you have a very good cat rod and reel.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's not so brushy where you fish I'd stick with the penns also if your fishing from a boat.If casting is an issue then an amassador 6000 to 7000 on a very stiff 5-6 to 6-6 rod is great.I use an old eagleclaw fiberglass 5 footer with a 6000 and have caught one that went 68 on 130 spider wire with a 50lb mono leader,just have to be patient with it