In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New line for spinning real.

recon5recon5 Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in The Fishing Hole!
What's the best way to put new line on? I have beed told to put a pencil thru the hole in the middle of the new spool, or lay it on the ground and wind in? what's the best way.

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just throw it on the ground (FLAT, label up or down dont make a difference)... as long as your not "crankin" line on as fast as you can...you'll be perfectly fine.

the ole pencil trick works with someone else holding both ends of the pencil. SOMETIMES it gets 'rolling' too fast, and only causes more problems.

just be careful you dont burn your fingers holding the line tight [;)][:D]
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lay spool on a table stack a couple large books on line to hold tension then spool away slow and steady
    most the time the wife just holds the spool with the pencil thorugh it and presses the sides to adjust the tension
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the question as to which way to do it (draw the line off the side of the spool or pencil through the hole of the spool) is important because one way will put twist in the line which makes it nasty to deal with at times.

So which is the best way to do it in order to not put twist in the line on your reel?[?][?]
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    If you load your reel pulling the line off the end of the spool the reel will twist the line as it wraps around the reel spool.
    If you load your reel drawing off the side of the spool two things can happen. If the spool is unwound in the opposite direction of which it was wrapped the line will twist a lot and cause problems. If the spool is unwound in the same direction as it was wrapped it will not twist the line as long as the diameter of the reel spool is the same as the diameter of the new line spool.
    Since the diameter of the reel spool is rarely the same as the diameter of the new line spool (even if they are the same dia. when you start the reel spool gets larger and the new line spool gets smaller) you have to give the twist somewhere to go.
    If you check your reel to see which way it spins and then draw off of your feed spool in the same direction (label up or label down) but allow your feed spool to spin freely to eliminate the twist that the different diameters create you will get a reel loaded that won't give you birds nests or impede your casts.
    I usually put my new line reels flat on my bench with a 16 penny nail through the center for it to spin around and load the reel while tensioning the line with the thumb and forefinger of my off hand. The new line spool will spin when twist is excessive but will feed off the side when it isn't.
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I take my shoes off and put a pencil thru the hole in the spool, then I put the pencil between my toes and wind it on. You don't have to take your shoes off until step 3 though.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the pencil through the spool method; however, to avoid run offs, place it in a pan half full of water.
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    And I would keep at least one shoe on...[:D]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lay the spool on the ground and as I crank the line onto the reel,
    I have a wet paper towel that I squeeze the line through before it goes on the reel spool. This removes any wax, dirt, or other stuff before it goes on the reel.
  • Options
    AHansenAHansen Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of my boys hold the pencil.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do it yourself, just hold the line with some tension. Be sure not to cut your fingers.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot, ya'll do it the hard way!
    I built a little rig to hold the spool with just enough tension to keep from free-spooling, and fashioned a long skinny screw with felt washers to hold the reel spool. I chuck it in the power drill and in about thirty seconds, voila! Filled with 0 twists!
    Hardest thing to find was a screw long and skinny enough to go through the spool.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it to the local fishing shop. They have it on in no time, and it costs next to nothing.
  • Options
    bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hissinggoose i like that. I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    bassranger420bassranger420 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the easiest way is a spool tool but if you don't have one tie the line to your reel trick is to have it go on the reel the way it comes of the spool. set the spool on ground hold line between your fingers and reel if the line seems like it is twisting take and flip the spool over because its going on the wrong way should be fine has always worked for me.