In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What rod length for Crappie?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
I've always just used a standard medium action 6' or 6'6" rod for crappie and bluegill with the ultralight occasionally coming out.

I'm going on a few Crappie/Bluegill trips this year and have been working at the Local Sportsman's Warehouse for a few weeks part time. Mainly for the discount.

I just bought a Mitchell ultralight spinning reel and want to put it on something other than the Medium Action graphite rods I already have. It'll be my goto rig for panfish.

My question to you: Would a 7' or 7'6" light action rod be a better choice than the rods I already have or would I really notice a difference?

Also, should I drop the Mitchell and pick up a Pflueger or Abu Garcia reel instead?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7-7 1/2 for panfish [:0] ive always used the ultralight set-up, i think the rod i use is 4'6"..

i never invest mush $$$ into my panfishing setups. ill usually throw 50-60 on a rod/reel. i try and save up for my muskie/northern setups.

im sure your reel will be more than adequate and personal preference should dictate which you like/use (and if you can decide...get both [;)][:D])

the crappies have started spawning around here, i usually dont have a problem getting my 10 in a hour or 2 [:p][:p] this past weekend, i used those jigs i sent you, tipped with either a crappie minnow or waxworm, i couldnt take `em off fast enough [:0](both crappies and sunnies) good luck.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    7-7 1/2 for panfish [:0] ive always used the ultralight set-up, i think the rod i use is 4'6"..

i never invest mush $$$ into my panfishing setups. ill usually throw 50-60 on a rod/reel. i try and save up for my muskie/northern setups.

im sure your reel will be more than adequate and personal preference should dictate which you like/use (and if you can decide...get both [;)][:D])

the crappies have started spawning around here, i usually dont have a problem getting my 10 in a hour or 2 [:p][:p] this past weekend, i used those jigs i sent you, tipped with either a crappie minnow or waxworm, i couldnt take `em off fast enough [:0](both crappies and sunnies) good luck.

Thanks again for sending those.

Have you ever used those jigs before?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this was my first year. had pretty good luck with them on the ice, and working even better now [:D] i may stop by where i get them and buy `em out! [;)][:D]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've had a LOT of fun wiht a ultralite spinning reel filled with 1lb diameter spiderwire (8lb test IIRC) on a 7wt fly rod!

Works really really well, although it balances kinda funny.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I split the difference. I use a 6' light (not ultralite) rod with a small spinning reel and 4 or 6 pound test line for most anything; crappie, bluegill, rock bass, perch, and the harbor I fish in has lots of 2-3 pound largemouth (and a few bigger ones to make things interesting...)

I've even used this rig for Walleye, praying I don't tie into anything over 6 pounds but kind of hoping I do in a masochistic way...

Of course, then the 26" sheepshead blasts out and busts the line... [}:)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use most of my cheap crappy stuff for panfish. That is unless I am spinning for crappie, then I would probably use the 6" light action that I have. I also love using Pline flourocarbon line with a weight of 4 pounds. The Pline shows up clear and you can get your depths set because it floats on the water.
  • Options
    John ClydeJohn Clyde Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For crappie and bluegill, if I'm doing much casting, the 7 ft. ultra light rods are my favorite. If your going to just dip jigs or minnows up next to cover, such as trees or cattails, I like longer ultra light rods, around 9 to 10 ft. I prefer the Mitchell 308 or 310 reels, and use 4 or 6 lb. Berkley Vanish line, As for jigs, I use chartruse, green, red or white with any of the other color combinations. Berkley Gulp 2" minnow grubs, in chartruse or white work very well. I like to keep jig weight to either 1/32 or 1/16 oz. It works for me, I live in south central Kansas, and fish crappie and walleye everytime I get a chance.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "cubslover"[:)]

I use a 4 weight 8 foot flyrod that was converted into an ultralight rod. You should watch the mouths drop open when they see how far I can cast a 1/16 ounce jig on 2 pound line.

Best Regards & Keep A Tight Line[:)]
    Steve Adams
    AdamsQuailHunter on Gunbroker
  • Options
    crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What on earth are you using for bait on that 6'6" or 7' rod? I used to catch crappies by the bucketfull with a 5' spincast rod. We use Mepps spinners and Mepps Minnos. Best results with a willow leaf blade and gold colors, or just the Minno fished slow over the structure. On Oneida Lake we ice fish with live minnows and wax worms.
  • Options
    MOMMASBOYMOMMASBOY Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well i have been making my crappie rods from 8 to 8 and half ft. fly rods for the past 25 years. everyone i fish with say that i am long poleing them. once you get used to it you wont go back to regular rods. here on truman and tablerock and stockton it is wonderful
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always use my ultralite when crappie fishing...4'6" 2lb test