In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chest or Hip?

green milegreen mile Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
Good morning all, I have been looking for a new pair of waders. I have recently talked to some friends of mine who fish strong current rivers and they have suggested looking at hip waders. They say if you fall in chest high hater or get caught up in the current, they are easier to get off and out of before your situation become life threatening. I am planning on using these waders for surf fishing the outer banks and possibly fly fishing some of the rivers in Virginia. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chest waders, as high as you can get them. The whole situation of falling in is a not correct. If you fall in there is no reason to leave your waders, they won't get any heavier and it won't be any harder to get up with them on, thats all in ones head. Just think about it a little bit. Your surrounded by water on the out side of your waders, water rushes into your waders, now you are just surrounded by water that is in your waders, your waders, while in the water don't weigh any more or any less then they did before. If you fall in with waders you just have to be calm, relax, and stand up.

Your still thinking your waders will weigh more, well they won't in the water but once you get out, yes they will have water in them.
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. shoff14! ...But for a different reason. I would suggest hip waders IF you're fishing in fast water! I lived in Alaska 5 years and the same question came up for me, with the same basic answer. But a good friend pointed out that if all you had on was hip waders you wouldn't be trying to wade out as far, so the chances of getting into trouble would be less! When I was up there fishing where Russia River dumps into the Kenai River for reds, there were a couple guys that had gotten into trouble there and had drowned. Both had chest waders on! . My $0.02, Good Luck!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Echo, You fish or have fished in different rivers then I have. That is an excellent observation. Most the rivers I have fished in were rather slow bendy rivers. The reason I have chest waders is so if I need to get through a deep hole I hopefully can without getting wet. You have to be careful around fast moving water, that is where common sense comes in and some people just don't have it.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit wear waders about 10 years ago after a guy fishing a few hundred yards from me got too far out into the current and fell down. They found him about a quarter mile down river then next day.

If I was fishing in cold water and truly needed waders, I's wear
    loose hip waders that I could get out of easily.
  • twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you fish in the surf you could try a wetsuit bottom. its neopren,so it floats.