In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chest wader's question

westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
I have never purchased or used waders before and am thinking of buying a pair from Cabela's. My question is they have what they call Stockingfeet and built in elastic gaiters do you need to buy Wading shoes also to fit under the stockingfeet and does any water penetrate thruogh the bottom. The waders I have seen at the local sores all have the rubber boots attached to the wader themselves so no water gets in. What is the stockingfeet and gaiters there for if you have to buy wading shoes to go along with the waders?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need wading shoes if you get stocking feet waders. The stocking feet is made of neoprene and keeps water away. Wading boots are actually not water proof in a sense that they let water in. You can wear tennis shoes if you want, they just have to be about a size or 2 bigger then your regular shoes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So does that mean you're pants will also get wet. Springtime water is not warm so I don't see the benefits of the Stockingfeet. I'd hate to have to carry a change of clothes all the time just because of waders that allow water in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No water gets in, its just that there isn't a sole and boot on the waders. Its like a thick sock, but it is still part of the waders and keeps you dry. [:D] You just need to have some type of boots or shoes to wear over them.

The reason for these stocking foot waders is so you can wear different types of footwear depending on what type of stream you are in. Most boots that are already on waders have a hard rubber bottom. If you have ever been in a rocky stream, you will know that this is the worst type of footwear you could be wearing for that stream. They make wading boots with felt and rubber bottoms so you get what you need.

Ok, after reading your post again, are you under the impression that you wear the stocking foot waders over wadding shoes?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for clearing that up for me I am going to give the stockingfeet waders a try, opening day of trout season in the streams is Saturday here. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westernMDhunter
    Thanks for clearing that up for me I am going to give the stockingfeet waders a try, opening day of trout season in the streams is Saturday here. Thanks for your help.

I recently bought a pair of breathable wading pants with stocking feet. I really like them. Heavy rubber boots makes you tried and they are not that comfortable. What I have now seems really comfortable and I will probably pick up another set of chest waders with stocking feet.