In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Excellent batter recipes for fish & shrimp

mnmoosemnmoose Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
I ran across one of the best Beer Batter Fish recipes I can remember ever tasting. It came from my Mom "Marion Marchwick" . I found it in the old tin recipe file box and it has to be made in advance of the meal, (about 4 hours) but if you are a good fisherman like my dad was my mom knew there would be fish to cook when John got back in from fishing!!
Here it is, enjoy it and pass it on to somebody else who enjoys deep fried fish.
Please send me back a email once you have had a chance to enjoy this.

Mix one cup of flour and a teaspoon of salt in a warm bowl(about a 4 quart bowl size)
Make a well in the center and add
1tbs salad oil
3/4 cup warm beer
1 egg yolk (note: yolk only but save the white for later)
mix quickly(batter will be thick), cover and let stand 3 to 4 hours
after the 3 to 4 hours you then fold in the egg white beaten stiff.
now dip the fillets in flour, then in the above batter mix,
drain off surplus batter.
deep fry 360 to 380 degrees
this can also be used for chicken and shrimp (note on moms recipe card)
(my opinion is that its only good on fish )

here is my reciepe for a shrimp batter
buy a bag of seasoned croutons (beat it into nothing but crumbs, do it while it is still in the heavy vinyl bag)
rinse your shrimp off with water
now get one small bowl of flour,
another bowl with a beaten egg (like making scrambled eggs)
and finally the one bowl of seasoned crouton crumbs.
take one damp rinsed off shrimp and roll it around in the flour,
next dip it into the beaten egg
next coat the egg coated shrimp with the crouton crumbs
now deep fry till golden brown
this one is a lot of work but if its just the two of you its well worth the time. If there is more than two to feed get some help!!
I hope you get a chance to enjoy these receipies
Pat Marchwick
Owatonna, Minnesota

Comments

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys must have a long winter up there heh!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winter seems to be the longest season we have up here in Minnesota. It starts snowing usually aroung Thanksgiving and can last into March and sometimes in April , The ice usually goes out around end of April depending on where you are in the state.
    There are no mosquitos or bugs to bother you in the winter though, thats one positive thing about it!!
    Pat
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now try this for the perfect Fish Sandwich. Nice big piece of above mentioned fish put it on french bread with banana peppers and a little onion. A couple of beverages of choice make mine a Bud Light and enjoy.
    When do we eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MNmoose
    Howdy from a neighbor to the East... I'm in Byron. I tried your batter on some crappies I caught on French last week. Good stuff! I will let you know how it goes with Rainy River walleyes next week.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was curious if anybody has tried the receipies. With over 230 people who have looked at it I would like to think that you were not the only one to try them. It is nice to see you liked it. It could be that we in Minnesota are the only ones who have caught fish that are worth eating!
    That statement should draw some replies!