In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

does anyone eat turtles?

quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
edited June 2008 in The Fishing Hole!
my granny used to, but i forgot how too do it.. any cleaning tips and recipes would be usefull.

Comments

• Options
    rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and its good...but I never cleaned one
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how to cook or clean but this guy must know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should keep them alive and in a barrel of clean water for about a week if at all possible. They purge out and are better tasting. Roll pcs. in flour and pan brown them. Add little salt and pepper. We use a Nesco type cooker and steam them for 6 hrs. Turtle has about 4 different tastes depending what part of the body it comes from. Chicken, beef, veal and or course fish. All are very good. Over the years one of the kids kept the neck/tail bones and made neckleses out of them. Kinda of conversation pcs. At any rate good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You should keep them alive and in a barrel of clean water for about a week if at all possible. They purge out and are better tasting. Roll pcs. in flour and pan brown them. Add little salt and pepper. We use a Nesco type cooker and steam them for 6 hrs. Turtle has about 4 different tastes depending what part of the body it comes from. Chicken, beef, veal and or course fish. All are very good. Over the years one of the kids kept the neck/tail bones and made neckleses out of them. Kinda of conversation pcs. At any rate good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the double wammy! I would think if you just googled "Turtle Cleaning" you might come up with methods. Too lenghy to reply to.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Howdy Gents....Was just cruzin along when I happened by the Turtle Blog...My aplogies for not stopping by sooner and saying Hello and telling You all how interesting I found the Topic on catching Turtles...I've seen big SNAPPERS from Michigan to Florida and West to Texas..but never got to taste one...I suppose You might say theres a bunch of things missing in My education.... Tried Soft Shell Turtles in Arizona and growing up along the Verde River..Biggest one We caught was about 15 pounds...I ever get to the South again, I'd like to see it done by a professional...from start to finish...Keep up the Good Work and feel free to stop by the Ask the Experts Forums to say Hello....Best....Captain Kirk