In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Halibut recipes

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Anybody have any good suggestions on fixing up halibut? The only way that I have gotten to eat it so far is beer battered. I am going to try a few different things, but I would also like some suggestions if you guys have any. Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to grill it with a small splash of oregeno,lemon,butter and pepper,sometimes insted of butter lay a piece of bacon on it while grilling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir. I will have to try that, sounds really good!

Jon
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I marinate it in Lowry's lemen pepper then wrap it in tin foil and grill it on low heat/flame with hickory chips for 5 min. turn, open the foil so it gets smoke flavor and cook till done
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use this one quite often....

mix 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup chopped onion. Place fish in a glass baking dish and splash with soy sauce. Cover with mayo,sour cream, and onion mixture cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove cover and broil until top is browned.
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it grilled. Brush melted butter and a little sprinkle of old bay seasoning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Jon how was the halibut
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Well Jon how was the halibut

Very good! I had it beer battered a second time, but with our own homeade batter this time. Also, had it baked. The girlfriend grinded garlic cloves, lemon pepper seasoning and lemon juice on the fish. She then baked them with lemon slices on them. Very good![:p]

We haven't had a chance to grill it yet, but that is our next way we are going to try it.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, we tried halibut chowder last night.[:p] Delicious!

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried some halibut steaks at a friends.Grilled with butter lemon pepper and green chile-just outstanding
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    quote:Well Jon how was the halibut

Very good! I had it beer battered a second time, but with our own homeade batter this time. Also, had it baked. The girlfriend grinded garlic cloves, lemon pepper seasoning and lemon juice on the fish. She then baked them with lemon slices on them. Very good![:p]

We haven't had a chance to grill it yet, but that is our next way we are going to try it.

Jon

You better hang on to that one!...and I don't mean the halibut.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:You better hang on to that one!...and I don't mean the halibut.

Definitely.[;)]

Jon
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bisquick & dark beer ...deep fried! Make sure the fish and batter is COLD and your cooking oil is HOT! Use "dark" beer ...anchor porter or equal! IT's GREAT!!!
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon,

go to "www.bookfinder.com" enter 'author- alaskans' & 'title- cooking alaskan' in the search feature.

I highly reccomend that cook book. It is 500 pages of fish, game, & wild berry recipes. Has lots of 'how to prep' advice too.

My copy has 28 different halibut recipes & one of my favorites isn't even there. Cut halibut into 1/2 x 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch pieces. Use your favorite chicken enchilada recipe only sub the halibut for the chicken.

Jim
  • Options
    SecurityProSecurityPro Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marinate halibut in a mixture prepared in your food processor of 4 ounces of olive oil, rosemary, greek oregano, sweet basil and cilantro. Add 1/4 of a yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 tsp of fresh cracked balck pepper.

Place aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and lay out the fillets. Dust with Tony's cajun seasoning. Bake at 350 degres for 15 minutes, turn over and add more of the marinade and seasoning for 5 more minutes. Please try to not let your tongue slap your brain out of your head and serve with a good white wine.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to broil mine with butter lemon pepper and minced garlic. Once it's done the garlic is crispy and it is great.