In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fly reels

He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Who builds the best?

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    ORVIS makes some dang-good'ns..Or Pfluger.

Jeff
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So Far I have Orvis Battenkills, but wondered if there is something better without spending $400.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He dog,

I've seen everything from 29.99 on up to the 400 you speak of. I just use a Pflueger or Martin self reeling unit that I got for $29.99. You gotta remember it's just there to hold the line. Sometimes you use it to reel in but most times I just use the line. I can't see spending $100's of dollars for a basic reel. Especially since I can buy a much more complicated reel that allows cast drag and catch drag for around $75.00. There just isn't enough technology in a fly reel to warrant the prices.
  • SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a trip to Washington State in June, I bought an Okuma reel. It's mighty high capacity, even with lots of braided line backing installed, and I love the large wheeled drag adjustment feature. I think I gave just slightly less than fifty bucks for it, and I'd say it's quality is a good match to the nice Orvis I bought at a flea market not long ago.

The Okuma also has a rather nice added feature in that a 1 minute change of bearing enables you to change from left to right hand retrieve and vice versa. It's aluminum for the most part, so isn't heavy.

Overall, I think I'm going to like it just fine. I did get the 7-8 weight model, and on top of a fairly cheap carbon fiber rod, I've landed several 4 to 5 pound catfish with no problem.

Sahagan
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "HeDog"[:)]

I have several Olympic reels that I got from E-bay. They were inexpensive going for around $20. I found the to be a good as my Abu-Garcia's.

Best of luck with your fishing!

Steve Adams[8D]
    AdamsQuailHunter, on GunBroker, Shotgun World, Bear Tooth Bullets, E-bay and Yahoo
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    MARTIN: I have 4 and they never let me down. Here is one from the late 40s early 50s.

Flyreel.jpg
  • Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older Hardy Perfects- all ball bearing- smooth drag, agate line guard, guny grey peweter finish- BUt only available in RH wind. The Orvis CFO's (like a few of the early Battenkill's) were made for Orvis by Hardy in Alnick, England- The CFO was designed for first Orvis Owner "Ducky" Corcoran (before the Cleveland richy-yuppie Perk Perkins family took over Orvis) by Stan Bogdan of Nashua, NH. A Bogdan reel, any model- is a ROLEX-anything master machinist Stan made or designed was "top shelf"- I don't fly fish anymore- too many rude Yuppies that read Gierach and went to some Joannie Wulff school and think they own the rivers now- But I have a nice Orvis CFO 111 with leather case- set for LH wind but reversible to RH- I'd sell- also a Hardy slit cane (bamboo) 7 ft. one tip 4/5 wt. rod mfg in 1961 (and I recently had it verified by Hardy's from the serial no.) Too bad, fly fishing used to be a fun, and within reach of everyone, whether you had a Shakespeare fly rod with a Martin reel- or a Payne cane rod with a Bogdan reel- the fish didn't know the difference.
  • castalotcastalot Member Posts: 13
    edited November -1
    Try Ross reels
  • PbshotPbshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most flyfishermen will tell ya that reels are irrel. unless fishing 7wt or more. Any wts under that in any of the above brands work well, it's just a tool to hold your line.
    As sevcral mentioned, all have their particular traits, Orvis, Ross, Sage, Redington, Cabelas, ect. A good rod is where it's at.
    It's hard to say the best, talk to your local fly shop and let'em
    know your set'up and what your after. They'll be able to make
    honest recs. and a good fly shop will tell you where the best
    models and deals can be had.
    I believe the best has more to do with area of country fishin, species after, drag system you want, metal or plastic gears, stainless or anodized, ect.
    Good luck fishing and your choice....