In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who would pay so much?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited January 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
The bait store at my marina sells rods and reels. None of the locals buy there- just the chumps who are going out on charters. Typically they sell reels for $100-$200, rods for $50 to $75. We're talking medium tackle for walleye and bass, light stuff for perch, in Ohio.

Anyone here buy any of this stuff? In God's name, why????? I have a spinning reel I got at Wal-Mart for a whopping $25 and a pole I got at a garage sale for $10. This rig has worked for me for 16 years now and I see no reason to replace- heck my dad's reel finally wore out after 40 years and he got a new one. Also bought cheaply, at Montgomery Ward, for $9 back when.

So why in God's name would someone pay so much for a rod and reel? I've occasionally brought in Walleye on a zebco I paid $15 for, no issue!

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    When you get there, and discover that your rod broke in transit...
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've seen it many times with newby hunters.

Instead of buying used stuff to start out with or borrowing a gun from somebody just for the experience,they go out and buy hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars worth of stuff just to find out that huntin' ain't really their thing after all.[V]

Although,sometimes it's a way for guys like me to pick up some stuff for cheap later.[;)]

BW
  • crowbeanercrowbeaner Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, I don't know; there seem to be a LOT of people with more money than brains lately. They buy stuff from Gander Mountain that is at least 50% higher than the local old boy tackle shop. I just paid $30 for a 7' Ugly Stik at K mart because it was one piece and really has some butt to it. It ought to cross a bass' eyes when I set the hook on a Mister Twister. I loooked at bucktail jigs the other day, and GM was $.50 higher than where I buy mine. At least the small tackle shop has some Mitchell reels for sale. They may be pricey, but NOTHING outlives a Mitchell 300.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the same people that you meet at the boat landing with their speedboats, heavyweight poles, and 80 lb. test line and their fishing in a small lake with bluegill, crappie, bass, etc.[:D]

Jon
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    One of my buds won't buy anything unless it says "CABELA'S" on it somewhere.

But then,he can afford it.

BW(The poorboy)
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Crow. I've been using an Ugly stick for many, many years. Caught 47" Pike, 44" Laker and many Sun fish, Crappie and you name it. These marketing people evidently do a job out there! Keep it simple evidently even a Barbie rod works . . . . . .
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:One of my buds won't buy anything unless it says "CABELA'S" on it somewhere.

But then,he can afford it.

BW(The poorboy)

Funniest part about that is that most of Cabela's stuff is either made by or based off of other companies and slapped with a Cabela's sticker.[:D]

Jon
  • Blackdogbaitskid89Blackdogbaitskid89 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an example for a reason to pay more for a rod or a reel. I do Teen tournaments at the CA delta and when im flipping tulles I use my Dobyns rod($199) because it is the most light and sensitive rod I have ever felt. When your flipping all day long with a rod and reel that weighs a lot, it really tires you out, and you can't make those accurate flipps. And just like on the day that I came in from my club tourny (when i set the club record), if you weren't accurate and hitting your spots, you weren't catchin fish.
    Also the more expensive equipment, in most cases is the nicest.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It really depends on what your fishing for. If your fishing for crappie or panfish under a bomber, there is no need for expensive equipment. Expensive equipment has its place if you know how to use it at the right times. I have some cheap poles that I like for certain things, then I have some more expensive poles that I like for other things.

This is like saying, why buy a Kimber when a Hi Point will do the same thing?

With all that said. If you fish enough, that $100 Shimano will out last 20 zebcos and catch more fish in the process.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    As for the Shimano outlasting a zebco... well yes for the modern production ones I agree.

Get one of the old steel cap models and the guts are totally different from a modern zebco. I've got two that are 40+ years old that still work fine.

That $100 Shimano probably will outlast a zebco 33 yes. It probably won't outlast a $30 spinning reel though, I know as I've worn out both.

Look if you are fishing competitively and need something sensitive that IS a valid reason to pay more. However for panfish, just fun bass fishing, walleye fishing, etc., the Kmart blue light special will do just as well.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To each their own.....I have 7 different Shamino reels mounted on various action Uglistiks. I fish at least 3-4 times a week from
    March till as late as December depending on the weather.
  • PbshotPbshot Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll fess up, I have my limits but usu only with regards to species I'm after. I'm a diehard shimano fan, nothing much beats out a calcutta for durability and wear in my neck of the woods. I also own other models of baitcaster and open-face but nothing under $70, and a good rod is a must like mentioned above. Feel an incredible difference, and rod type can really aid if your pitching or casting. My fly set-ups are prioritized around a superb rod and ok reel. This gear is usu reserved for bass, trout and reds.
    But I do use other brands, if crappie, bluegill or cats usu. fishing quantum spinning gear, zebco or shakespear, B&M jib poles and the cheapest aluminum cane poles I can find.
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, my go-to rod is a Fenwick medium weight at least 25 years old. It was my fathers before I was even born. It is topped off with a Shimano Solstice. I have taken this everywhere, Utah, Montana, Penna, Ohio and caught many fish on it large and small. I am sure it was a pricey rod in the day but it has never failed me.