In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone chase Lakers?

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
Lake trout are the my target fish thru the ice. I only go after Cutts, Rainbows, or Browns if the grandkids are along.

Anyone else exclusively chase these big forktails?

There is a pic of my best this year so far a 22 lb 38" in another thread somewhere here.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is my best.
    Picture046.jpg
    Lake Superior about 3 years ago. Pulling plugs on the surface in June. We ended up with 4 kings, 4 lakers and 2 coho that day.
    We also do a lot with the kings.
    doorcounty2006021.jpg
    This is my daughter's first king. Went almost 15lbs and she was 5 years old. I held the bottom of the rod and she did the rest.
  • Options
    hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lakers are my most eaten fish, jigging through the ice or trolling the flats on Superior. We have a lot of lean lakers around the Apostle Islands, much better eating than the fats. Newbie to the site, need time to figure out how to post pics...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter7198
    Lakers are my most eaten fish, jigging through the ice or trolling the flats on Superior. We have a lot of lean lakers around the Apostle Islands, much better eating than the fats. Newbie to the site, need time to figure out how to post pics...

Good to see another NW WI guy here. I grew up in Bayfield Co and still get back there as much as I can.
    We mostly fish Superior and Port Wing. Maybe this year we can head to the Apostles. How often do you get out?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They are around in Ohio. In fact we're just ending that season now in the rivers around here.

Never went fishing for them, never caught one. I'd like to but I tried eating one once- horribly strong. I'm a lightweight when it comes to eating fish. I find perch and Walleye tolerable only if caught fresh and never frozen- even a few days in the fridge and it is too strong for me. The trout is something else- never could choke them down.

And if I'm not looking to eat it, just for the fight, there are plenty of big sheephead to be had off the breakwall.
  • Options
    hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likewise Joe, nice to see a fellow cheesehead. Get up there quite often, either with my own rig or with fishing buddies from Ashland, Bayfield, or Superior. Planned on heading up today for a run to Sand Bay but weather didn't cooperate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter7198
    Likewise Joe, nice to see a fellow cheesehead. Get up there quite often, either with my own rig or with fishing buddies from Ashland, Bayfield, or Superior. Planned on heading up today for a run to Sand Bay but weather didn't cooperate.

I'll try to shoot you an e-mail when I am heading up there. May just cross paths out on the water.