In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone eat freshwater drum (sheepshead?)

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited July 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
I was always told they are garbage, but recently have read a few testimonials that they actually can be prepared to be eaten and taste good- apparently the idea is all in the cleaning.

You have to gut them right after you catch them the guy said, and put them on ice. When removing the rest of the fillet, be careful not to flop it in all the slime from the rest of the fish as it is very oily and strong. Finally, make sure to cut the 'mud line' (i.e. the pectoral vein) out of the fillet.

I sure catch enough of them walleye fishing. I'd be willing to try it once.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    All the sheepshead I've eaten have come from salt water, catch 'em off the Cedar Key (bottom part of the Big Bend) city pier, use fiddler crabs for bait.

Of course, its been 20 years since I've done it but they were good just filleted and fried.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the south, there is a fresh water drum called a Gasper Gou.(I have no idea how to spell it). It looks a lot like a croaker. The fish actually has two "rocks" up at his head. I have never known anyone liking the fish other than a great fight. I cleaned one that weighed 14# and the "rocks" weren't any bigger than one that weighed 1 or 2 pounds.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    In the south, there is a fresh water drum called a Gasper Gou.(I have no idea how to spell it). It looks a lot like a croaker. The fish actually has two "rocks" up at his head. I have never known anyone liking the fish other than a great fight. I cleaned one that weighed 14# and the "rocks" weren't any bigger than one that weighed 1 or 2 pounds.

Same fish or very close relative. My best was about 8 pounds, but I've seen some come out of lake Erie that were over 50.
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taste Like Chicken!!! I think I would pass myself they stink when you catch them. I catch them while fishing for bass. They always give you a big tug and your hopes go wild until they roll over on their side. Oh not really on that taste like chicken statement.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910

I don't particularly care for Gasper Gou and do not remember anyone who is fond of eating them, but up here in the NW they sell at $5.00 a pound, if you can believe that!
    What's next?
  • Options
    HuntAndFishWithMyKidsHuntAndFishWithMyKids Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I live only the black people eat them. Like another poster said, they fight good but stink real bad. And, the "rocks" you guys are talking about are called lucky stones, one on each side of the head, with an "L" on one side and just kind of rough on the other. They seem to flop and twist pretty good when you're trying to get the hook out of their mouth too. I catch a lot of them while crappie and small mouth fishing.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Servings: 6
    Prep Time:: 15 to 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 to 45 minutes
    Cooking Method: Boiled
    Meal Type: Entree
    Main Fish: Gou (Freshwater Drum)

Ingredients
    3lbs of filet gou (freshwater drum)

3 yellow onions (medium) chopped

1 green bell pepper (large) diced

3 gloves of garlic diced

1 bunch of green onions chopped fine

1 bunch of parsley chopped fine

1 8oz can of Contantino tomato sauce

1 1/3 cup of water

2 tbs of flour

1 tbs of salt

1 tbs of white pepper

1 1/2 tbs of cayenne pepper

Directions
    Put a heaping tablespoon of cooking oil in pot. Then place a thin layer of all the veggies (except the green onions and parsley) in the bottom followed by a losely spreading of the fish. Combine the seasonings with the flour and sprinkle lightly over the fish. Now sprinkle the tomato sauce and water. Begin the next layer with the veggies (including the green onions and parsley this time) and follow the same steps until all the fish is used. Now cover the pot and place on a low heat to boil around 40 to 45 minutes. When done serve over rice.
    Other Notes
    A cast iron pot #14 is the choice of cooking vessel. Added sides of green bean casserole...blackeyed peas...fried okra and/or french garlic bread can be served.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Servings: 6
    Prep Time:: 15 to 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 to 45 minutes
    Cooking Method: Boiled
    Meal Type: Entree
    Main Fish: Gou (Freshwater Drum)

Ingredients
    3lbs of filet gou (freshwater drum)

3 yellow onions (medium) chopped

1 green bell pepper (large) diced

3 gloves of garlic diced

1 bunch of green onions chopped fine

1 bunch of parsley chopped fine

1 8oz can of Contantino tomato sauce

1 1/3 cup of water

2 tbs of flour

1 tbs of salt

1 tbs of white pepper

1 1/2 tbs of cayenne pepper

Directions
    Put a heaping tablespoon of cooking oil in pot. Then place a thin layer of all the veggies (except the green onions and parsley) in the bottom followed by a losely spreading of the fish. Combine the seasonings with the flour and sprinkle lightly over the fish. Now sprinkle the tomato sauce and water. Begin the next layer with the veggies (including the green onions and parsley this time) and follow the same steps until all the fish is used. Now cover the pot and place on a low heat to boil around 40 to 45 minutes. When done serve over rice.
    Other Notes
    A cast iron pot #14 is the choice of cooking vessel. Added sides of green bean casserole...blackeyed peas...fried okra and/or french garlic bread can be served.

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stones in their head are otoliths fish version of ears. In the 30s they were prized for making jewlry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why wouldn't the stones be bigger in a larger fish? When I cleaned that 14# gou, I was expecting paving stones![:0][:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because the ears only grow so large. Yours have not become elephant ears right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes Sir He Dog, you have a good point! But why won't my belly quit??[:0]