In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rainbow Trout

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
What is your best Rainbow Trout catching bait?
I use corn and worms.
Anybody have anything that works better?
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In daily stocked parks I have used plastic worms, Zeke's floating cheese, salmon eggs, and flies, usually nymphs, with good success. I have also taken them on spinners, mostly one no longer made, called a Doty.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stock trout- I use velveeta cheese(the kind you buy in a block/ cardboard box)with a number 12 or 14 treble hook that works best around here especially in the streams, the only problem is you end up keeping every one of them until you've got the limit cause they will usually always end up swallowing the hook. Second would be power bait, worms, super duper's, rooster tails.

Big trout that have been around for a few years- Rapala's, threaded minnows.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grasshoppers,in warmer weather
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Berkley PowerBait.
    Nightcrawlers
    Salmon eggs
    Dry flies
    nymphs
    daredevils
    flatfish
    mepps
    panther martin
    colored miniature marshmallows

Location and type of water (lake, stream, river) often dictate what will work best. That's why I have such a big tackle box. [:D]
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1/8 oz. Rooster Tail with a small plastic jig on one of the hooks.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold/orange spoon trolled at about 50 down in 100FOW on Lk Michigan produces well for us in July. Gotta love the steelies!
  • shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to use carwfish. The kids have fun catching them for me. The small ones work best.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lake Clear Wobbler spoon with a twelve inch leader and a night crawler....this is deadly on trout up here in the ponds of the Adirondack Mts. in New York State
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done alot of trout fishing from Alaska to California, first general rule is to think SMALL! I can't tell you the number of times I've seen guys fishing with bass lures! Foating a single salmon egg, crickets, & grasshoppers in a stream has always been deathly for me! Use small hooks, I use a #10 egg hook normally. Small chrome lures work well trolling or casting (cast master & super duper comes to mind). And if your good fly fishing is a great way to go after trout, "IF" you know what kind of bugs are hatching in the area at the time. GOOD LUCK!!
  • HuntAndFishWithMyKidsHuntAndFishWithMyKids Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with drstroud...small rooster tail. Not sure I'd attach anything to it though. Red rooster tails have been a good one for me. Through the ice, one of my favorites is a Swedish Pimple.
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Phoebe, Panther Martin, and the C.P. Swing(best of the bunch).
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trout Magnets.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Castmaster every place I've fished. Small for trout, large for Salmon.
  • hwhipplehwhipple Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waxworms are by far the best bait for trout.
    Mealworms also work.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Great question. I'll have to defer to an old fisherman I know. (I don't take credit for his response, but it was accurate.)

What is the most effective rainbow bait?
    Skill, son, skill. He said.

It sounds like a wise guy remark, but it was valid. Try whatever is closest to the front of your tackle box and keep changing it up. I'm loving the flies right now, but I'm not beyond putting something stinky on the end of a hook and dragging the bottom with it.

Good luck. I think the message he was really trying to give is "ain't it great to try them all!"
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Blue Fox spinners. Gold when the suns out and silver when it's cloudy or the water is murkey.