.

Fishing Line Question

VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
edited November 2009 in The Fishing Hole!
When spooling new line on to a reel, I sometimes and hampered with
the ole line twist. Is there any sure fire way to prevent this?

Comments

  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    How are you putting it on. What is the new line holder doing.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    I'm usually spooling it on to a open face spinning reel. I don't have
    any trouble with the closed face reels that I use. I've had the best
    luck sticking something like a pencil thru the hole in the spool and reeling it onto the reel like that, but even then I still sometimes get the 'twist'. Laying the spool on the ground and reeling it off like that nearly every time produces line twist. quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    How are you putting it on. What is the new line holder doing.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Yep sort of my way by make some sort of resistance to keep it from rolling on.

    Could be over filling.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop the new line in water and fill-r-up.Once you are on the water, run quite a bit out back of your boat and "troll" without anything tied on, Just a little way, and reel in all your twist will be gone. I guess you could pull out a bunch on land and just reel it in but the water has a little drag on the line and does a great job.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Thats what I always end up doing after putting on new line. It just
    becomes a hassle when your doing 5 or 6 rigs at a time. [:)]quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    Drop the new line in water and fill-r-up.Once you are on the water, run quite a bit out back of your boat and "troll" without anything tied on, Just a little way, and reel in all your twist will be gone. I guess you could pull out a bunch on land and just reel it in but the water has a little drag on the line and does a great job.
  • bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it does! I know you can't do them all at once, but you know, it does work. Set The Hook!
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I run the line through a book. Any old book will do. The closer to the spine you go or the more pages on top, the greater the resistance.
    Good Luck!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,902 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    I run the line through a book. Any old book will do. The closer to the spine you go or the more pages on top, the greater the resistance.
    Good Luck!


    Neat idea. I'll have to try that.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The book idea works like a charm. I keep an old phone book for just such a use. That way the wet line from the bucket of water the spool is in does not ruin a good book.

    My other trick is for getting line off a reel. I drilled a hole in a pop bottle cap and put a bolt through with a nut on it tightened down to the top with the bolt out the top. Put that in a drill with a bottle on it and spin off the line. Then you throw away the line on the bottle and keep the cap for the next time.
  • steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason you're getting twist in the line is you're not spooling it on properly. Using a pencil and letting new spool of line rotate around it should only be done for level winds. First check the direction of rotation of your reel. The new lie should go on in the same direction or spin off the spoll onto the reel in the same direction. Reel about ten feet on stop and open the bail if there's twisit in the line flip the filler spool over. Now you're good to go.
  • bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011
    edited November -1
    I usually leave the spool of line in the box, unless it's one of the big spools. Anyway, leave the spool in the box, and thread the line through the slot in the box. Gives you a little resistance to keep the line tight, ang the spool turns, allowing the line to come off with no problems.
  • woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steamingutpile
    The reason you're getting twist in the line is you're not spooling it on properly. Using a pencil and letting new spool of line rotate around it should only be done for level winds. First check the direction of rotation of your reel. The new lie should go on in the same direction or spin off the spoll onto the reel in the same direction. Reel about ten feet on stop and open the bail if there's twisit in the line flip the filler spool over. Now you're good to go.


    I was looking for someone to catch the trick, it's as said, simply wind on a few turns and if there is twist turn the spool over.
  • bigfischebigfische Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a braided line.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    filling a spinning reel has to be done a certain way. Have the new line come off the END of the spool, turning the same direction as it's going onto the reel.
Sign In or Register to comment.