In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

becoming the hunted after fishing

modockidmodockid Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
a freind and i go fishing off the "beaten" path (well its not down town):ie its on a small river out in the woods with animals and such , well not just college students but real animals .... anyway we were comeing back after the mornign trip (about 1 mile from the hatchery ) up and down hills with trees and hazzards ,and i began to think , theres bear,cougar,coyote,elk ,deer, and what not that roam these woods , day in day out , ya might not see em but the're here
anyway , bear + fish , not a good combo with me in the middle....

does any one carry somesort of a pistol when fishing , and not for shooting fish , but maybe incase theres a hungry bear ??????????????????

and if so what kind , and how did you come to deside on this pistol ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Comments

• Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in bear country but I do carry when fishing or other outdoor activities. My choice is a Glock in .40 S&W.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Your best bet is Pepper Spray...
    I prefer a 454 Casull .......
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I carry a 380 whenever I'm off the beaten path. I'd feel safe for all but the bear and the elk. The cougar will probably take you from behind, so you don't need to worry about that one.

Seriously, I have to second the pepper spray. Just the sheer weight of any handgun with half a chance of being effective just wouldn't make the hike fun.

I think you're thinking about all the right things including having a fishing buddy with you.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First time I went fishing up in Alaska I went with a friend from work and he took me to the Russian River down on the Kenai Peninsula. Its a small river with banks ranging from 10 to 30 feet high. SO if a bear (browns) showed up they would be on top of you in a "New York minute"! Anyway I top the crest of this bank and there were LOTS of fishermen (1 every 30 yards or so - both sides) ...And pretty much all was packing some type of firearm! I was laughing at them with my buddy about the "Mercenary convention" when I my friend stopped and said ...see that "blue stuff there ...that's bear shee-it!" ...there was alot of it all over the place! ...SO I started "packing" myself when I went fishing up there. Now a handgun is the least cumbersome, but I'd have to think trying to stop a charging brown bear with a handgun would take a "dirty Harry type" ...So I always packed a short barreled shotgun with slugs and double #00! ...Lucky for me I never saw one the five years I was up there.
  • Options
    HuntAndFishWithMyKidsHuntAndFishWithMyKids Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .500 S&W will do the trick for ANYTHING. But like a previous poster said, kinda bulky. I'll put up with bulky to be safe.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A large handgun is still smaller and lighter than a rifle. If I can carry one of those around all day hunting a handgun in a proper holster shouldn't be an issue.

A .45 should be fine for cats and even black bear, or a .357 mag. For brown bear, .454 or up I'd say. I know someone who carries a 45/70 revolver when hiking out in the woods... if the .500 smith will stop something a 45/70 will obliterate it if loaded to potential.

Also good for protection from 2 legged vermin.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never venture out into the wild without adequate firepower. Are you in Modoc County? I would be more afraid of the dope growers than a wild critter. Although I have seen both in the Warners. Eddie
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    When I lived in Alaska and was fishing a river, you bet. When I lived in Oregon and was fishing rivers, not a chance.
  • Options
    casprigcasprig Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although not recommended in California without a permit (impossible to obtain unless a cop), I always carry my Colt .380 or Ruger .41 mag. when I fish the rivers of N. Calif. Cougars, bears, etc...can be right around the bend, especially if mama has cubs with her!
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    44 mag with a good old Elmer Keith load.[:D]
  • Options
    spinnerbaitor48spinnerbaitor48 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glock 27 in 40 s&w....always.....
  • Options
    OutboarderOutboarder Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a really fast boat would help you escape the bear! so you will need a fast outboarder. i stumpled upon a place thats really great.
    www.mcmarine.net
    the pretty much got everything you could need and if they dont, simply ask, contact them. they are really nice and fast.

cheers, bob
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    NO PROBLEM!!! Just take a fishing buddy U can outrun!! Then U don't need to be able to outrun the bears!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    DarylDaryl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    NO PROBLEM!!! Just take a fishing buddy U can outrun!! Then U don't need to be able to outrun the bears!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    DarylDaryl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    screwed up so I am re posting a reply. Seems to me if I read how we respond to imminent death you will probably get off one shot and if you miss you are screwed. There is an old man living with polar bears and he uses pepper spray when they get too friendly. Maybe the king size mace with pepper would be a better deterent as they have a range of 20 feet and you could continue to spray right up to the time the bear starts chewing on your skull.