In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ice action

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Man where the perch active today! I caught them one after another from 2:00 till sundown. Most of them where small, but some nice around 10" mixed in. Then had a short lull, and then the crappie fired up. All where over 9" and one 13".

I also got 1 'gill and a northern. The slimer was fun on the super ultralight rod and 2lb test.

All fish where C&R.

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never really done it but it sounds like fun. I have heard that those yellow perch are really good to eat.I know that the crappie are hard to beat beer battered french bread and banana peppers.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No doubt there was some good eating there, but I released them all. There are very few lakes in this area. MN- land of 10K lakes right.... Just none here. The place I was at is a man made pond for flood control.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    Never really done it but it sounds like fun. I have heard that those yellow perch are really good to eat.I know that the crappie are hard to beat beer battered french bread and banana peppers.

yellow perch are very good eatin. at least i think so. just boney as all hell and you need to be mindfull of that. when i was around 15 i had a bone slide in next to a tooth. man did that hurt. learned to be more carefull though[B)]
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I filet my perch. Takes awhile but no bones. Perch are great eating.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I read or saw on TV, a recipe for yellow pearch, where it's filleted then chunked and dropped in simmering seasoned water, and poached.Ever tried it anyone? Or even heard of doing them in that fashion?
    My pop and I always lust scaled and gutted them and fried them in a skillet with butter.Then we just ate them right off the bone.They are some of the sweetest to be had in fresh water.
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on filleting perch, Last week I pulled a 22" walleye and five yellow perch (all over 12") through the ice. In total we got two walleye, eleven perch and two nice small mouths (can't keep those), all after noon. We had no luck with jigging, but the tip-ups were rockin' and rolling. Going again in the morning, I hope we have similar luck.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothern poached are great eating[:p] Use some "Old Bay" in the water & put the meat in an orange plastic "open type mesh" (normally orange in color) poach and use cocktail sauce as a dip.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Perch action is good in Wisconsin (Lake Winnebago) this year. Good numbers of 10" fish and occasional 15-17" walleye. 24" of ice as of Feb 5th.