In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Outboard motor quality??

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
...I'm looking for a good used 10 hp outboard motor for a 12 to 14 ft. aluminum boat, for lake fishing. I've had alittle bit of experience with a 9.9 Evinrude and a 9 Sea King in the past, but that's it. I'm looking on eBay for another 10hp motor ...I see alot of Evinrudes and afew Mercurys and others. But my question is this, is one motor (in this HP area) better then the other? NOW I realize that's like asking which is a better handgun Colt or Smith/Wesson. Different people different ideas. BUT in general I'm sure there are "better" motors. Anybody care to add there 2c ...and WHY??? (which will be the big think part for me!) THX guys! ...Mark

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a name brand, Merc, Evinrude or Johnson. Put a new water pump in, new grease in the lower end, and fish happily everafter. and of course a new spark plug
  • Options
    Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11echo
    ...I'm looking for a good used 10 hp outboard motor for a 12 to 14 ft. aluminum boat, for lake fishing. I've had alittle bit of experience with a 9.9 Evinrude and a 9 Sea King in the past, but that's it. I'm looking on eBay for another 10hp motor ...I see alot of Evinrudes and afew Mercurys and others. But my question is this, is one motor (in this HP area) better then the other? NOW I realize that's like asking which is a better handgun Colt or Smith/Wesson. Different people different ideas. BUT in general I'm sure there are "better" motors. Anybody care to add there 2c ...and WHY??? (which will be the big think part for me!) THX guys! ...Mark

I like Yamaha
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda, nuff said.

Otherwise take one of those already stated.

Dad bought a new Evinrude E-Tec 2Stroke for his New Pontoon. Wicked motor. Don't have to add oil for 3 years. Oil is injected on the side of the piston.

May look at those too. No maintenance for 3 years either.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree Honda or Yamaha.
  • Options
    OutboarderOutboarder Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree. also, in case you dont know where to buy, try this shop www.mcmarine.net. really good parts and very fast. if you cant find what you need contact them, they are really friendly people. www.mcmarine.net

cheers, bob
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Got one from 1960 that my grandpa had. 9.9 hp Evinrude. Hardly ever used it.

New water pump and oil in the lower case, new plug, new gaskets (just to be safe)..... been using it for 10 years now on a 14 foot johnboat for fishing in the harbor and some inland lakes.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The Jap motors all use TINY little pin connectors. Not too bad, in sweet water, but salt is hell on'em.Go with an American made one, and check compression before you make any moves.Ask for maint. records.If possible,have the motor run under load(on a boat) before any money changes hands.If the seller refuses to run it, move on..
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1984 model 9.9 Evinrude that I've had since
    about 1986, and it has never missed a beat. I have
    used it in sperts, and gone as much as a year or more
    with it sitting in the shed untouched and it will always
    fire up on the first or second pull no matter how long
    its been sitting. I do disconect the fuel line and run
    the fuel out of the motor after every trip unless I'm
    going out the next morning, and I flush it out with
    fresh water after every use. I use the ear muffs to flush
    after running in fresh water, after running in salt water
    I put it in a drum of fresh water with a healthy dose of
    dishwasher detergent and let it run for ten to fifteen min.
    I need to replace the water pump because of it's age, but it
    still pumps water like nobodys buissnes. It's been a great
    little motor, and I've had buddies with Merc's, Yamahas,
    and Suzuki's that could not hold a light to this old E-rude.
    It's gona take me out in the morning to get some speckled perch
    That's crappie to yall folks up north.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crappie, White Perch, Black Perch, Sac-A-Lait, Saddle blankets, Specs,ect... One of the best eating fish in the world! (Sorry about Hi-jacking the thread)
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Someone suggested running the motor under load. That is very important. Years ago I was burned on a Johnson. The motor looked new and ran great with the ears on it. I put it on my boat and went to the water. Back down into the water and tied her off. Started the motor, fired up on the first turn. Went and parked my truck and jumped into the boat. Eased out of the no wake zone out into open water. Of course I wanted to see how she would do so I put her to the dash. All she would do was maybe walking speed. Out of 4 cylinders 2 were good and 2 were bad. Still the motor ran great. Just no power.

I like Evinrudes. Probably the best is Honda but I cannot afford one. I have a Tohatsu 27 horse diesel that runs great. Not the fastest motor but reliable and barley sips diesel. I have it on a 16' wooden skiff and she will cruse maybe 20 knots. 6 gallons will last all day.

Very important, make certain all cylinders have the same compression.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the older outboards. The 2 strokes are light and that makes a big difference. Lightness of 2 stroke outboards improves performance in 2 ways better gas milage and of course less load.
    That also helps when you are hauling. The old evinrude and Johnsons are good reliable motors and can be had reasonably.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The OLD "cross flow" ones ate gas but really had the power.The newer "Loop" charged ones had great low/midrange power and were a bit better on gas.
    The NEW HPDI (hi-pressure Direct Injected) ones sip gas and run like a raped ape. Unfortunately, u need to be a rocket scientist/brain surgeon to even get the cover off.[xx(]