In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tuna fishing

realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
edited February 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
any go out of orange beach

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only Tuna fishing I have done was out of Cabo san Lucas Mexico. We have done well there, but this year they seemed really small. 25lb range. Also we did not see the numbers we have in the past years down there.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go out of Jersey Shore. Not as many there as there were years ago either. What a fish those Bluefin and Yellowfin tuna. Man catch one and its new religion!
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    realspeed...nothing like catching a tuna! Like lassoeing a 21" torpedo! +1 with wpage! I did have a strange thing happen with a wayward tuna about 20 years ago surfishing at Buxton NC for blues. Early one morning with the incoming tide I was heaving Hopkins lures with my 14' Hatteras Hauler (and my trusty Penn 704 with 25lb Gold Stren) and saw a fin streaking through the surf after baitfish just beyond the third breaker. Several of us guys saw it but no one but me had the pole length to be able to reach out to whatever it was. Put my largest Hopkins on and threw as hard as I could, dropped it right in front of the fish and 25 minutes later landed a 26lb tuna (evidently lost)! Could not believe it! Quickly grabbed the camera, gave it to one of the guys to snap a photo, and got the tuna back to the surf! The photo is on my wall and never ceases to get a comment from folks who visit my house! What a day! What a memory! I can feel it as I type this right now!!!
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I fish out of South Port NC. Most of the time we go out to Frying Pan tower, about 40 miles off shore in only 60' of water. We were trolling 6 drone spoons on down riggers when all of a sudden 4 of the 6 went off. Their was me and my friend up on the fly bridge so I started grabbing rods and got the first one in. A 30 something Black Fin. I throw that rod down and grab the next one. I finally get all 4 in only to have the last 2 take hits. I get both of them in and could only collapse on the deck from exhaustion next to all 6 30 something black fins.

What I love is come January when the Blue Fin appear off Hatteras. We were out there one day and all of a sudden the water around us came alive with Volkswagen sized Bluefin. There was hundreds everywhere going after chum. A Penn 130 International with 200lb spectra and a 500lb leader, 20 minutes later we had a 275lb flopping around the deck.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I never landed a Bluefin or a Bigeye. I have fished Walkers Cay in the Bahamas on 3 occasions, for Yellowfins.Landed my personal best on 300# handline w/80# flourocarbon leader.We were chumming them up with sardines then throwing live Ballyhoo at'em.Had my handline tied off to a spring cleat and it got HAMMERED. Turned out to be a Yellerfin a little over 125#. Great fight, hand to "hand"?
  • Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been out of Dauphin Island,in the past. Age and old injuries is catching up with me and the 60+ mile run out to the Ram-Powell in a 25' boat is no longer fun for me. Used to go out of Orange Beach occasionally, mostly scuba or snapper fishing.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by williwm
    Been out of Dauphin Island,in the past. Age and old injuries is catching up with me and the 60+ mile run out to the Ram-Powell in a 25' boat is no longer fun for me. Used to go out of Orange Beach occasionally, mostly scuba or snapper fishing.

Know what you mean. The ole body takes a beating in a small boat. Still can't keep me off the salt water.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are a few from the last few years of fishing down in CSL
    003.jpg
    Cabo102608005.jpg
    Cabo102608050.jpg
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    dcso3009......great photos! Just pulled them up when the state snowplow came by the house! Makes me want to get the rods and reels ready for the first big break in this darn snow event. Got to keep with those positive "waves.." Isn't that what Donald Sutherland said in "Kelly's Heros?"