In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scent attractors

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited March 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Do these work well for bass, and which ones are best?

Comments

• Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Surely somebody has used them. I was thinking about getting the one that smells like garlic.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried them with Salmon on the Great Lakes with no success. Not saying they did not work, just no better than the lure with no scent.
  • Options
    Ranger ManRanger Man Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never believed in scents until recently. A friend and I just got back from Lake Fork and he flat * schooled me. The only thing we did different, was that he was spraying his lizard with Bang garlic scent.
    I will start using Bang.
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Guess it depends on circumstances. I know I'd hook Chinook after Chinook using smelly jelly when others trying to copy me wouldn't even get a bite even though they were using the same corky and yarn.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think bad scents are worse then no scents. Let me explain. Bass by nature are rather curious, and usually don't just attack a lure. If they suck it in there, and go "ugh, this taste like gasoline" and spit it out before you can set the hook, that is a bad scent. We humans have a lot of bad scents on our hands will fishing. Whether its filling up the gas tank before we hit the lake, or taking a puff from the tobacco pipe.

So I think keeping your hands clean during fishing is an important step in getting fish into the boat.

I have used scent attractors, and never noticed a difference in catch rate. I am a plastic bait guy depending on what I am fishing for, most of those baits have some sort of scent in them to begin with.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    WD-40 is an excellent attractant.It's fish oil based.
  • Options
    Capt Rick HiottCapt Rick Hiott Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gulp is the way to go! It works!

1438243_i-523588?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=trilin&op_usm=1.0,1.0,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for WD-40 and Bass.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have caught my limit using scent and without it. I personally do not think it matters. Just another gadget IMHO.
  • Options
    WickedGoodOutdoorsWickedGoodOutdoors Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try putting some Harmons Deer Scents on your fishing baits.

Yea! It works!

Found this out by accident when a bottle opend up and spilled on my tackle box.

WickedGoodOutdoors@Maine.rr.com

03035.jpg