In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Channel cat Cleaning

yellowjacket7375yellowjacket7375 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
It's been so many years since we caught and cleaned any, I thought I might ask for some pointers, before I butcher one in front of my wife?[?]

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are two ways one is conventional the other uses hot water. Here is a link for detail...
    http://bayoubill.com/archives/2003/040703column.html
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grab him by the head, cut the skin around the fin from the top toward the belly, grab the skin with plyers and pull the skin off. It will take several diffrent pulls, it won't all come off at once. Take and cut under the dorsal fin toward the head just a little then twist the body and head to break the back bone. Then simply tear the head down toward the belly, you may have to cut, cut out the vent and clean out the rest of the guts. Don't worry about losing the belly meat, it doesn't taste that good on channel cats. Larger fish you have to cut more than on fiddlers.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife will only eat something that is wrapped in butcher paper so I make it a practice to do the cleaning before leaving the lake and show off nice filets when I get home...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.