In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

first time on open water for the year

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I got out yesterday for the first time on open water. A friend called and wanted someone to fish with. We headed to Red Wing on the Mississippi River, and where on the water by 6AM. The water was high, and fairly muddy. Current was fast so we concentrated on current breaks, and slack water areas. The first spot gave up one white bass. Next we headed up river to the lock/dam area. Nearly everyone was fishing on the dam side, so we went to the lock side that is divided by a strip of land from the lock side. Fishing was slow at first, but found some fish. Lots of other boats joined us as the day went on, but nearly all of them where fishing much more shallow than us. They where getting fish too, but no more or less than us. My friend stuck with plastics, and I fished minnows, and plastics. Both produced fish, and color did not seem to matter.
In all it was a good day, but really cold! 29 degrees when we hit the water. The temp came up to the low 40's, but so did the wind. We boated about 15 walleye/sauger and lost many more at the boat. Most of the lost fish where intentional as they where small.
Good luck to all
Joe

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound like a decent day. Hope you had some neoprene gloves!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Sound like a decent day. Hope you had some neoprene gloves!

No gloves. The water in the minnow bucket felt warm compared to the air.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I was out there the same day. Didn't get on the water until about 8am. Caught about half a dozen sauger and a couple of walleye. Nothing big but fun to catch! Lunchtime went to harbor bar for a Baileys/coffee and some fries. Caught a couple more after lunch near hay creek mouth then moved south toward Pepin. Was nicer in the afternoon when the sun came out. We were the three guys in the green crestliner in case we ran into you.

Small world

Skicat