In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Grinnel anyone?

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Any folks out there know what a Grinnel is?

May know it as a choupique.

Haven't caught one in a few years, fish salWar on Terrorer mostly.

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I caught a small one either last year or the year before.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have caught a bunch of them, they are tough fish. I think if you look them up in your fish book they would be named Bowfin.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigbill0910 is correct. They look very primative. I caught one on a trout line that was 3 feet long. The head looks like a snake.
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We call them DOGFISH
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The first fishing show I ever remember was an old boy called Gadabout Gaddis. He was somewhere catching Grinnels in some low water Cypress trees. He called them Cyprus Trout. That was a long time ago. I am telling you a Grinnel will tear your equipment up! I have never heard anyone try to eat one.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddies say that if you fry them about 30 seconds after you catch them, they are great.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are common in southern river bottoms.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are protected now.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powerful fish.
    What's next?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigbill0910
    The first fishing show I ever remember was an old boy called Gadabout Gaddis. He was somewhere catching Grinnels in some low water Cypress trees. He called them Cyprus Trout. That was a long time ago. I am telling you a Grinnel will tear your equipment up! I have never heard anyone try to eat one.

BIGBILL!!! I cannot believe someone else not only remembers,but actually mentioned Gadabout Gaddis!...
    That was the show of all shows, on Saturday morning in my house, in the late 60's!!
    WOW did the old memories come floodin in when i read that!!
    DO you remember the Country & Western radio program, that was brought to radio by "The Duke of Paduka"? I can't remember his name but, he would almost always have "Little Jimmy Dickins" on the show with him.Was kinda like a "top 40" deal.
    MAn,,, them were the days.I was an 7 or 8 year old boy, riding in pops "hopped-up" Studebaker, blasting the "Duke of Paduka Show", ol' Blackie ridin shotgun with his whole front end out the window,headin for IONA LAKE, to catch some pan fish for supper!!
    Thanks 4 the memories Bill...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fishkiller, was "The Duke" Speck Rhodes? I remember Porter Wagner introducing The Duke of Paduka but I don't remember who.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Duke was a fellow named Whitney Ford if memory serves me right .He was a favorite guest on Porters show as well as on the Wilburn Bros show.Havent seen that in a while as I dont get RFD tv anymore .AS an aside I have 2 young Neighbor kids that are touring with Merle Haggard for the past year or so .They recently played a WIlburn Brothers Memorial show ,at the request of the family ,and got to play Doyle and Teddys original guitars .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have no idea Bill, if U knew, and said his name i wouldn't remember.I just knew he was The Duke..WHitney Ford,,, Prob. is the guy..I'll ask pop if he remembers.I call him Sat and wed at lunch time.
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember the first one I ever caught when I was a kid. Caught it in a local watershed lake that was about 35 acres. It was probably only about 16 inches long and a nastly looking creature. I must have been 10 or 12. I went running to show it to dad cause I thought I had caught some kind of dinosaur fish.
  • Options
    birddog1964birddog1964 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Any folks out there know what a Grinnel is?

May know it as a choupique.

Haven't caught one in a few years, fish salWar on Terrorer mostly.

I just caught one on a trip to Alabama,on lake Eufala at the first of the month.