In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

catfishing

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
edited May 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
hi, are there any one out there that fish arkansas, tenn. or missouri for big catfish, with jugs, lime lines,or trotlines. later. holden_cars

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone been out yet? i went out for a few hours tonight but didn't catch anything but some sun fish and a perch. used night crawlers and chicken livers. I think i did get the attention of a turtle of some sort though. one hell of a tug and when i went to set the hook nothing. several times over will try again in a few days.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    We use shad and bream here in the Carolina's for the Blues and Flatheads. 30lb+ is not unusual. We never stop fishing for cats here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i live in CT. up here most everything seems to stop biting around late june. at least everywhere i fish at. i was always told the cats start hitting the best around the time the apple trees start to blossom.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    got home about an hour ago,only caught 4 screwtails,about 1 lb apiece,still alittle cool for good catfishin here in new mexico,got down to 38 last night.as soon as global warming kicks in we are set for good catfishing[:D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lake Livingston in SE Texas is known for big cats, and all kinds of other fish. An Op (Flathead/Yellow) is supposedly the largest one caught there.
    What's next?
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here on KY Lake in West TN, the catfishing will be heating up in another couple weeks. The spawn will be here soon and will be time to fill the livewells and the freezer. Catch a lot here in the 15lb range.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Went last night to the old clay pits that are now stocked and
    managed by the local sportsmens' club. Chicken livers were not
    getting any hits, so I put chunks of string cheese on for a meat
    and cheese buffet. Caught 3 little 2 pounders (about stocking size)
    in about an hour. All were lip hooked and released...[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    went out last night and again tonight. using nothing but night crawlers i got out of my back yard. caught about 17 fish last night and 3 tonight before the wind really started picking up.

the catfish are acting kinda odd though. i guess its because the waters still fairly cold. The fish are acting kind of lethargic. there not inhaling the hook like they normally do. and most of them are nibbling so softly that if your not paying attention you wont notice your pole move. im using those little glow sticks that mount on the tip of your pole, and the pole proped up with a branch that has a v in it. sometimes they pull the rod right down but normally its a very slow pull and release. ive caught a couple i didnt even feel bite with the line draped over my finger. have missed a bunch cause i didnt see my pole moving in time.
  • Options
    KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been catfishing since feb. caught a lot of fish.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    caught 7 good fish this afternoon,from 4 -7 lbs,used worms for bait.
  • Options
    hondo44hondo44 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I CAUGHT A 19LB.Blue Channel Cat on night crawlers the afternoon of May 3rd on my new, Mitchell 300 Excellence reel, with 8 lb.test line.It was a good fight for a while.He broke water twice,and took my drag for a spin a time,or two. All in all,it was a good day for me! i only wish, i could have a few more,closer together.Fishing is only one of the three sports,i love. The other two are reloading ammo,and squirrel hunting.Right now the Licking River in Cold Spring,Ky.where, i caught the Cat,is flooding.--- " Happy Fishing " ! hondo44
    p.s. i guess this Blue Cat is the cleanest,and bluest cat, i have ever caught. i fished the Ohio river all the time when, i was a kid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hondo44

I CAUGHT A 19LB.Blue Channel Cat on night crawlers the afternoon of May 3rd on my new, Mitchell 300 Excellence reel, with 8 lb.test line.It was a good fight for a while.He broke water twice,and took my drag for a spin a time,or two. All in all,it was a good day for me! i only wish, i could have a few more,closer together.Fishing is only one of the three sports,i love. The other two are reloading ammo,and squirrel hunting.Right now the Licking River in Cold Spring,Ky.where, i caught the Cat,is flooding.--- " Happy Fishing " ! hondo44
    p.s. i guess this Blue Cat is the cleanest,and bluest cat, i have ever caught. i fished the Ohio river all the time when, i was a kid.

the only place i know of around here where you can catch 19lb catfish is the Connecticut river. You could not pay me to swim in that river let alone eat a fish out of it, So i do not fish there.[xx(] For where i go fishing if i catch a 2-4lb fish im more then happy.[^]
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK , while in South Alabama last week for a few days , went to a small place , caught apx. 7-8 in about 35 mins or so ? perfect eating sizes , used red wiggelers while sitting in lawn chairs just relaxing ???
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns............................a.k.a....................SKEEZIX
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yesterday afternoon went to KY Lake for a few hours. The cats are coming up in the rocks spawning now. The fish are still on ice since we got in at dark last night, so not sure how many we got. I guess we brought home 15 that totaled about 100 pounds. I do know that both livewells were just about as full as they could be. All caught on good ole nightcrawlers dug up around the horse pasture. Soon as it quits raining I guess I have to get out there and start fileting.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowboy38231
    Yesterday afternoon went to KY Lake for a few hours. The cats are coming up in the rocks spawning now. The fish are still on ice since we got in at dark last night, so not sure how many we got. I guess we brought home 15 that totaled about 100 pounds. I do know that both livewells were just about as full as they could be. All caught on good ole nightcrawlers dug up around the horse pasture. Soon as it quits raining I guess I have to get out there and start filleting.
    Good job Cowboy!! The filleting will be a labor of love..
    Their next swim will be "CRISCO LAKE".[;)]