In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Want to catch big Cats!

powermag401powermag401 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Anybody out there willing to give up their receipe for cat fish baits that really work?

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chicken livers soaked in salt and garlic...
    http://catfishbaitrecipes.net/
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Works real good,And if u stuff it into a piece of Nylon stocking and knot it.U can catch a dozen cats, with 1 bait bag.
    A friend of mine used to make a bait with grape jello,cornmeal and corn starch for trout in the lakes in NJ.WOrked real good for Cats too.I can't remember the exact recipe but, it's prob. in that link Wpage posted,under Trout dough ball baits, i would think.
    Good luck and CATCHEMUP!!
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Its funny the kinds of stuff you can mix up and catch cats. The grape jello thing is funny, I might have to try it one day.
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    fresh cut bait or minnows.another thing that works is take and sprinkle some oil of anise on whatever you use.take a 3lb coffe to your local slaughter house and get some fresh bull blood put it uncovered in the fridge and let it gel then cut out globs to bait limblines or totlines,does not cast well.if you want castable blood bait put unscented cotton balls in a shallow pan and cover with blood and keep in the fridge,use frsh blood bait quickly before it starts to get smelly.fresh beef liver works too.for my live or cut bait I catch it from the same water I'm fishing.crawfish work good too as do worms
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    A big Bream about hand size or a 2lb Gizzard Shad. Large circle hook, 100lb spider wire leader. 50lb mono backing. 1 ounce egg sinker or bigger depending on the current rigged "Carolina Style" Penn 330GTIs on medium heavy rods with soft tips.

Good for 30+ lb Flatheads or Blues here in the Carolinas.
  • Options
    scennis35scennis35 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catalpa/Catawba worms......All we use in South Texas.

Every hook on every line has a fish hooked in the side of the mouth
    using circle hooks.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Budweiser and corn flakes.

Mash up the corn flakes, pour in a little bud, and make a dough out of it.

Go fishing.

You'll catch cats.
  • Options
    williamg63williamg63 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    in NE Tennessee we use chicken livers, even better if they sit in the sun bout half a day
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An old river rat fisherman once told me whatever you use soak it in Vanilla!? He also used a drop or two to train his Beagles to track.
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    I followed that link and found Dan Eggertson's bit about some device
    that attracts zooplankton which attracts bait fish, which attracts the fish that eat the bait fish. Anybody tried one of those gadgets?
    He has a special right now,,,,$197 delivered,,,I'm not sold yet.
    I'll wait for somebody to sound off on this.quote:Originally posted by wpage