In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Monofilament. Fishing Line

chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Any one know how long monofilament fishing line, stored in the tackle box, is still good to use?

Comments

• Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    collagardens......not sure, but I know that I am using Stren Hi Vis Gold that is ten+ years old and it works fine. The key is to keep it out of the sunlight which makes it go bad rather quickly.[:)]
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It needs to be stored in a cool dark spot. As you are putting line on run it between your fingers if you get white powder then you got a problem. Bad line means loss of fish!
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the information. I have a box of line and was wondering if I should list them. I opened one and tested it and it came out fine. I also have several hundred pounds of eyelets for making sinkers. I didn't see anyone else had any listed so I did list the #1 eyelets and will get to the #2s and #3s soon. Now GunBroker members don't have to go to that other auction site to get them. Thanks again.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like the line that sits on the shelve in the tackle shop. It keeps for a long time without exposure to extremes.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    With no apparent rhyme or reason, I have seen line on shelves pop with little effort. When buying I always tie a knot in the end of the line and pull.... should take some effort to pop it, on par with the line rating. So if you are buying 10 lb line, you should need roughly 10 pounds of force to break it- remember, knots are usually the weak points in a line, especially mono. Some 'new' line pops with just 1-2 lb of pull. For bluegills, ok, but for anything bigger, I try another box.

On the other hand I've seen some that was very old- I found a spool in the basement that was 20 years old- that was still fine.

I do agree though, that once you start using it, get it wet, exposed to sun, etc., it goes south quickly. Sometimes if I fish a lot in a season, it won't make it even from April to October. Other times it does, but rarely is it still good the following spring. Once in awhile it might be and I use it for panfishing but never for bass or walleye.

I tend to go with the new microbraid lines as they last a lot longer- spiderwire and such. Though they are great for a spinning or baitcasting reel, they are horrible with closed baitcasters (zebcos and the like).
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I change my mono 2 times per year, and more if we're going alot
    I also cut off about 25 or 30 ft. before each trip.
    The stuff is too cheap to risk loosing that fish of a lifetime
    because you have a little nick in your line.
  • Options
    lidamilidami Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war;My safe guard and my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, My shield, in whom I trust, who subdues peoples under me.

http://www.eluxury-sale.org/burberry.html
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    topdad, good advice. After I lost a good one I tested my line. I have a fish weighing scale that goes to 50#. I used it and found that some of my line was far below what I thought it was. New line went to the claimed load. I also found that mono really streaches befor it fails.
  • Options
    jim_shortsjim_shorts Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many factors to consider. Quality of the line, temperature of storage, type of structure you generally fish. These can all determine life of line. I can tell you that a tournament angler generally re spools every few weeks at the minimum.