In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Fly Fishers?

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Do you fly fish?

Where is your favorite spot to fly?

Comments

• wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cmon, there are some great spots...

Dont be shy.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fly fishing is about the only way I fish anymore. I flyfish for mostly warm water species due to the fact that I live in Iowa and the closest trout fishing is in the northeast part of the state. Biggest fish I ever caught was a 7 lb. largemouth. It sure was a fun time doing that. I've also caught catfish, smallmouth, northern, crappie and bluegill. I wished I lived out west where I could really get into some blue ribbon trout fishing. Perhaps in a few years when I retire.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I grew up flyfishing in western CO. I developed a love for high mountain streams and broke trout.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    elkoholic, I am coming to Colorado elk hunting in October. How's the trout fishing then? I will be hunting with Winterhawk outfitters, and would like to indulge myself in a trout stream out there for a day either before or after my elk hunt. Got any recommendations as to a relatively easy stream to access. Not that I mind walking or anything, it's just that time may be an issue this time. Thanks
  • huntingwithdaughtershuntingwithdaughters Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been fly fishing for 50 years now. My most memorable trip was fishing lochs on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Zero pressure. The wild browns jumped at anything I threw at them like bluegills. Never since has a muddler minnow worked so well.

Further south the great English chalk streams were breathtaking, the Test, the Avon, the Bourne and the Lambourne. I caught a 6 lb brown on the Avon on a gold ribbed hare's ear.

In the US my home water is the Beaverkill River, the "birthplace" of American fly fishing. I have recorded my fishing adventures with my daughter Alice on www.fishingwithdaughters.com
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to get a new set up...I used to walk a couple local rivers and streams here in Northern Illinois for Small Mouths..........

Man that was fun, time to find a rig....[:)]
  • mrzieglrmrzieglr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got back from a trip to Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and Colorado. As I'm new to fly fishing, floated the Snake River with a guide, biggest landed was about 11 inches. Couldn't afford any more guides, so everything else was caught without professional assistance: Caught some Brooks in Idaho, 6-7 inches (up on the Warm River, outside of Ashton). Caught some Brooks in Colorado (tributary of Dolores River, northeast of Dolores about 15 miles). BUT I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK TO VERNAL UTAH!!! Caught Cutthroats, Rainbows and Browns, at least a half dozen were 12+ inches. Problem is I promised the lady at the Bigfoot Fly Shop I wouldn't tell anyone where I went outside of Vernal! Seems the locals get ticked-off if other locals tell where the fish are. Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho are beautiful and all, but I can't wait to get back to Utah.