In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Catfish fishing ???

joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
Well it seems there is a lot of it here where i live around Lake Allatoona. What is a good rod and reel. not looking for top of the line hell I'd settle for something cheap as long as it works. will be bank fishing, no boat[:(][:(]. Also whats better using a bobber or bottom? i would like to use a bobber as you can get hung up pretty easy around this lake

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishing off the bank with a bottom that is easy to get hung up in, makes me think of a good cane pole suitable for catfishing, with a strong line, strong hook, large bobber, and night crawlers, crawdads, large minnows, etc. Googling Lake Allatoona Catfish to find out what other fishermen are using might help some too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Fishing off the bank with a bottom that is easy to get hung up in, makes me think of a good cane pole suitable for catfishing, with a strong line, strong hook, large bobber, and night crawlers, crawdads, large minnows, etc. Googling Lake Allatoona Catfish to find out what other fishermen are using might help some too.

i have seem some of the other poles people are using and there big ones. i know there are some big cats in there. thought about a cane pole as my grandpa used one, may just do that as they are cheap, i think. not many people use them anymore
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some states will allow for fishing with more than one line as you would know. Should this be the case, you might want to set a cane pole or two in the bank and fish them tight line to increase your luck.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know the WMA its a single line not sure about our county/state lakes or whatever
  • Options
    kumateliveskumatelives Member Posts: 2,609
    edited November -1
    zebco 808 on a 6ft heavy rod with 20lb test,bobber fishing works pretty goo for channels and blues if the water ain't too warm but not so well for yellow cats
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Depends on the cats you are going after. Here in SC we use heavy bait casters spooled with 50# test and 200# Spiderwire leaders. I use Penn 330GTIs on Penn heavy boat rods with soft tips. I rig Carolina style with a 2 ounce egg sinker. The key is to let the ole cat take the bait before he knows there is a hook in it.

Our baits sometimes weight over 2#. Very large Gizzard shad whole if we are going after Blues and cut up if we are going after Flatheads. Of course these cats get over up to over 60# and can average over 30#.

If you are going after small cats less that 10# you can use about any rod/reel combo that will handle Large mouth bass. Bait casters or open face will work. Remember cats when hooked will go for anything in the water that they can use to break off. Rocks, trees, snags of any kind. You want a strong leader and cats are not leader shy. The green spider wire works great for leaders on cats.

If you have problems with snags you can use a small cigar float on a 3' leader with the the float 3 inches from the hook with a tube sinker on a 12" dropper line attached at the swivel. That will keep your bait off the bottom and hopefully off the snags. The Tube sinker will simply glide over snags.

You basically have a Y configuration. You take a 3 way swivel and attach the main line to one side. The other side you attach a 2'/3' leader with the cigar float a couple of inches from the hook. The third eye of the swivel you attach a 1' dropper line with the tube sinker attached to that line.

Good luck with those cats.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your local pawn shops. They often have heavy rods at a low cost.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live on the Holston River and have not yet tried catfish fishing. But I am thinking about collecting some live mussels for bait. Years ago we used them to bait trot lines. Anyone else try this?
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bamavol
    I live on the Holston River and have not yet tried catfish fishing. But I am thinking about collecting some live mussels for bait. Years ago we used them to bait trot lines. Anyone else try this?

We run lines up and down the banks of the river. Usually bait with shad or blocks of cheese. The cheese attracts some big cats.
  • Options
    brianhunter123brianhunter123 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Depends on the cats you are going after. Here in SC we use heavy bait casters spooled with 50# test and 200# Spiderwire leaders. I use Penn 330GTIs on Penn heavy boat rods with soft tips. I rig Carolina style with a 2 ounce egg sinker. The key is to let the ole cat take the bait before he knows there is a hook in it.

Our baits sometimes weight over 2#. Very large Gizzard shad whole if we are going after Blues and cut up if we are going after Flatheads. Of course these cats get over up to over 60# and can average over 30#.

If you are going after small cats less that 10# you can use about any rod/reel combo that will handle Large mouth bass. Bait casters or open face will work. Remember cats when hooked will go for anything in the water that they can use to break off. Rocks, trees, snags of any kind. You want a strong leader and cats are not leader shy. The green spider wire works great for leaders on cats.

If you have problems with snags you can use a small cigar float on a 3' leader with the the float 3 inches from the hook with a tube sinker on a 12" dropper line attached at the swivel. That will keep your bait off the bottom and hopefully off the snags. The Tube sinker will simply glide over snags.

You basically have a Y configuration. You take a 3 way swivel and attach the main line to one side. The other side you attach a 2'/3' leader with the cigar float a couple of inches from the hook. The third eye of the swivel you attach a 1' dropper line with the tube sinker attached to that line.

Good luck with those cats.
    Hes got the best info ive heard on here so far, we do alot of jug fishin were im from. I dont fish much from the bank but i would go with this mans advice, hes gotta over all good ideas about how to catfish. good luck brother