In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lures

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Fishing Hole!
I just picked up a great tackle box at a garage sale. Its loaded with nice fresh water surface lures like Crazy crawlers,jitterbugs and others. The problem is that many of the lures have a caoting like a wax coating that is turning grey. I have been able to scrub it off but its a pain in the butt.
Does anyone know why older lures develope this coating?
How can it be removed without spending all day cleaning instead of fishing????
Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Its probably oxidation similar to how fiberglass boats look when left to weather. I would probably try an oxidation remover and a terry cloth, you should be able to find some on the marine isle at china mart.
  • Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ill give it a try!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old toothbrush and elbow grease.
    Finish with old terry cloth.
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is oxidation from the old plastic lures in the box. I have cleaned 100's of them. Use WD-40 and a cloth or the fast way is to borrow your wife's hair dryer and the "schud" will melt off like it was frost on your windshield--plastic lures ONLY. Just get them hot enough to do the job and then quit..

There are also some good cleaning cloths--Miracle Cloth is one of the better ones.

Try the hair dryer on the plastics ONLY!!
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1