In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ethenol Fuel is not good for marine use.

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
Having more problems this year. Mostly fuel related with this ethanol 10% added. Certainly hope they dont up the mix.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree. I strarted using the Stabil Ethanol treatment in mine. It has made a difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chief,
    Are you mixing it with all your marine fuel?
  • Options
    ChiefEaglesChiefEagles Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    I agree. I strarted using the Stabil Ethanol treatment in mine. It has made a difference.

That mixed with high test seems to work good.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It ruined the carburetor on my woodsplitter. Ed
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's getting tough to find gas without the alcohol in it now.REALLY tough.
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here around the lake almost all stations handle premium without the alcohol in it. I guess I al lucky at least that is what they say. The big problem is that is is to high of octane for most older outboards. The cost is usually 25 cents higher per gallon. However on the lake at the marinas you can get 87 octane alcohol free the price is just 3.07 per gal.

The other big thing is that the pump says a min of 10% alcohol so I think it could be more.
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    Do these problems apply to both 2 and 4 cycle engines in your opinions? Even my chain-saw guy is telling me to avoid ethanol.
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes the lining out of the fuel line among other things.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mercury came out and said to use the green stabil or Sea Foam. They will not warranty red stabil in marine use. Im not a believer in Mechanic in a can but Sea foam works wonders in all my small engines.
  • Options
    ccwisgoodccwisgood Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another bright idea by the goverment to save on oil.This stuff kills small engines.I've heard from dealer I talked to when the stuff was mandated in our state it caused lots of problems with most small engines unless you didn't take steps to compensated for it.I don't
    know if it's a good thing but you don't have to buy dry gas anymore!
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put green Sta Bil in all my gas cans before filling them and use it in my outboard and chainsaw mixes too. So far I have not had any problems with the 10% ethanol gas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now they want 15% ethenol in the mix...

Really bad! Marine or other engines.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where are you buying the green mix? Looking to make up some special Premium with the green stabil for the boat.
  • Options
    ChalklineChalkline Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure has made my Stihl chain saw a lot harder to start. And if it's going to sit longer than a couple weeks without use, I have to drain and run dry. Looks like I need to take a look at Stabil Ethanol treatment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I find the green stuff. All I see is the red...?