In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Carolina Skiff Owners here?

C-PhaseC-Phase Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
Hello newbie here.

I regisitered to find out about an old gun I just got, and found this fishing section (Fishing my first love)[:D]

So anyone have a Carolina Skiff on the forums?

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Great little boats. Had one many years ago. Only problem with it was I kept going over oyster beds and scaring the bottom of the boat. After a few years it started leaking into the inner hull and the foam flotation. After a while that boat was useless. Weighted more than 5 of them put together.

Welcome to the forum.[:D]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Great little boats. Had one many years ago. Only problem with it was I kept going over oyster beds and scaring the bottom of the boat. After a few years it started leaking into the inner hull and the foam flotation. After a while that boat was useless. Weighted more than 5 of them put together.

U know, U couldda fixed that...Put it on a trailer and raise the tongue up as far as possible,even tie it to a tree limb to get the hull to a 45-60* angle.Drill 6-8 3/8" holes along the bottom of the hull,as far back as possible and let it drain a few weeks.Patch the holes and the oyster bar gouges, your back in business...
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

U know, U couldda fixed that...Put it on a trailer and raise the tongue up as far as possible,even tie it to a tree limb to get the hull to a 45-60* angle.Drill 6-8 3/8" holes along the bottom of the hull,as far back as possible and let it drain a few weeks.Patch the holes and the oyster bar gouges, your back in business...

I tried doing just this same thing but it never did dry out. It hung like that for over 6 months. Finally put the chainsaw to it and hauled it to the dump.

I have a 18' Sea Ox now that I welded an extra 1/8th aluminum plate on the bottom and this seems to work fine. I have a 60hp Merc jet drive and I run over the oyster beds like nothing now. Gotta get back in the cribbing to catch those Black Drum and Sheep Head.