In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shark Stories

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
Sharks have been really getting the bad end of the stick since Jaws came out...

Having caught a few and swam in some and observed others they seem like just another silly fish.

Once had a big 10' hammerhead ruin a good fishing trip. He would not go away. Even after several moves.

Have you got a shark story?

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never caught one but would love to try one out for size. I only got to try ocean fishing one time some years ago and I remember it cost $300 for a four hour tour. I did not catch anything I know that is why it is called fishing and not catching. I didn't think I was going to make it out into the gulf as we broke out of the harbor the waves almost did me in for a second. That was out of a harbor near Panama City. Seems funny to me now as the waves that day were not as big as some of the cruiser waves I see now.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I was out on a Mutton Snapper trip with a commercial fishin buddy I used to fish for.We were using 100' leaders,as the fish were very "lead shy".
    That meant U had to hand line the fish the last 100'.I had a nice one on,got the lead up and in the rod holder .(rule #1 on commercial boat,NO SWINGIN LEAD)
    I had it hand lined to about 15' from the boat and a roughly 12-14' hammerhead came up,jaws wide open,about to swallow my fish.I gave a MIGHTY yank and pulled the fish right out of it's mouth,he kept on coming! He kept coming until about 5 FEET OF HIM WAS INSIDE THE BOAT!!
    Luckily,their was still 7-8 feet of him in the water and he slid out,instead of all the way in!!Talk about a PISSED OFF SHARK.That 14' hammerhead started doing 8Foot figure eights behind the boat!!!
    WE GOT the HELL outta there,as fast as a Detroit V6-92 Diesel can move a 34'open fishing boat, with a hardtop on it can get!!![:0]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caught a 6.5' Nurse while Dea Sea fishing for Grouper.

Felt like pulling a fridge up. No real fight though.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    rj1408rj1408 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caught a 6 foot (quessed to be 180lbs) Bull shark off the coast of Jupiter Florida. Hit like a frieght train and fought for 45-50 min. Got it at the end of a four hour session on the "Blue Herring" head boat. I was on the back of the boat fighting and some guy was hanging off the front hooked on a big Bull at the same time. Never had anything that big since. That thrill interupted a great day of catching red and yellow tail snappper.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had the opportunity to shark fish on two occasions while visiting the east coast. Both times it was fishing off of piers.

Nothing big...36" black tip in Tybee Island GA and 34" Dog Shark in
    Myrtle Beach SC...
  • Options
    WickyWicky Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to fish quite a bit for Makos off of SoCal. Nothing bigger than 150#s. Some of the best tasting meat on the planet and they put up one hell of a fight!!
  • Options
    surjo666surjo666 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never really caught one and don't intend either. I think that they are a marvelous creation of nature and should be kept unharmed....