In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crappie fishin' tips

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
No, I don't have any... I want some. Crappie aren't native to Eastern Oregon but there have been quite a few reservoirs stocked with them. I've never had much luck catching the little buggers. Anybody got some surefire tricks?

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Small grub jigs, small bucktail jigs cast under docks and around the pilings. These come in about every color you can imagine. Buy all of them. You never know what color works until you start fishing. Minnows work well too. I usually look out for lights on a boat dock and fish it at night. The key is to get your bait under the dock.
  • Options
    surjo666surjo666 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to hear some ideas too.... Hope everyone will share their knowledge...
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Dynamite.[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    Dynamite.[:o)]

Tried that. The Sheriff is one of my fishin' partners and he said he wouldn't go with me anymore if I didn't quit using it.[8D]
  • Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bass pro and some other companys put together a Crappie catcher box. They have many diffrent colors of tubes and jig head sizes. Get yourself some crappie powerbait nibbles they look like little marshmellows and you just tip your jig head with these things they work. The crappie have finished spawmimg here and are moving away from the banks the fishing gets tougher but you still can catch them. Start looking for them in shallow brush and then fish over deeper brush, Minnows work great too!
    Great Fishing
  • Options
    duhshooterduhshooter Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They like structure - bridge pilings, beaver houses, docks, etc. After the spawn (now) usually caught deeper, 8 to 30 feet. Slip bobbers fished medium to deep with small live minnows work well. When they bite, it is easy to catch many, if they aren't biting, you won't catch one!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Crappie like structure, especially deep structure, that is tall. That way they can change depths for feeding, and still remain in structure. That is why docks do well. They can hang around pilings in 12 feet, or 1 foot.

I like brush piles that are in 8-15 feet of water, and are at least 4-6 feet tall. Large trees that have fallen into deep water, but are still attached to the bank are also great spots.

When you fish, go from structure to structure until you catch a crappie, and then stick with it. During the spring, fall, and summer, I always start fishing a 6 feet, and then either go up to three feet, or down to 8-9. During the winter I start at 12, and go up to 9 or down to 15. I always fish areas off of deep water. Crappie really love areas of extreme depth changes with structure. They stick to them tight.

I am a slip bobber fisherman, and unless the fish are really "on", I guarantee that I can outfish any jig fisherman. Wax worms can be used to find them, but minnows are preferable.

Fish light line 4-6lb, and the lightest weight/bobber combo you can get by with. If you notice your bobber coming up, instead of going down, raise your depth by 5 inches at a time until it starts going down when the fish bite. If it is windy, switch to a heavier combo so that you can keep your bait in the honey hole for longer. Don't be afraid to get directly over seriously hairy structure, and fish straight down into it.

They school tight, so if you catch one, expect 12 more to be at that EXACT same spot. If you flub it by 10ft, you may not get another bite. They very well might only be on that one single tree. If the fish suddenly stop biting (and you don't catch a catfish), look for other structure in the IMMEDIATE area that they might have moved to. Remember, the fish change habits frequently, so when they do, try something new until you figure out what they're doing.

Large blugill have the same habits of large crappie. Small blugill do not. If you are catching small blugill, chances have it that you are not at the right depth for the crappie. Small crappie will school with large crappie, or at least relatively close to them.

If you really start tearing them up, don't be afraid to switch to jigs. They're cheaper, and faster. However, if the fish are being shy, nothing beats live bait, and a slow "light" presentation. The more shy they are, the more line I put between the hook, and the sinker.

My preferable rig is a #4 gold eagle claw, a pencil thil bobber, and one split shot 8-16 inches above the hook. If the crappie start swallowing the hooks, shorten the distance between the hook, and the split shot. If you're getting bites, but not hook sets, increase the distance between the hook & the split shot.

When they start spawning, just fish 'em like you would gills with the same baits.

They also will sometimes segregate by sex. It's important to note if you're catching males, or females. If you change up your strategy, and suddenly catch the opposite sex, realize that is most likely a different school with a different characteristic.

Happy fishing,

Ben
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had some laotians show me this.

When they aren't biting, switch to a small longshank hook. Put a mini jig tube skirt on it.

Give it a blast of WD40. No weight or anything.

It's worked well for me over the years when they seem to have shut off.
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked for Zebco & Quantum several years and found out some good hints: Crappie will stay in one thermocline. If you catch one fish, you will catch more in that same spot & depth. Finding the depth is by trial like going to the bottom and reeling in very slowly. Then stick with that depth. Zebco made a Crappie Reel that had a line depth switch that once you figured it out, worked great. Otherwise, you can use a magic marker on the line at the reel or tip of your rod. OR, tie a knot in the line and use a slip bobber. That way you can reel in and when you let the line out it will go to the same depth. They have small mouths, so, use small hooks, fish straight down or use a cane pole. Don't jerk hard to set the hook. A gentle tug works best. They're nearly fast as a perch at getting your bait
    so don't cast far for them. Use multi hooks tied on the line a few inches apart. I've caught 2 at a time often. Minnows and jigs for best results. Good luck and screw you for not taking me!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I went out and gave 'em my best shot again... I think the water around here is still too cold. The warmest reading I got on the surface was 58 degrees. We've been having our wettest and coldest spring in 117 years with a real late runoff. I did manage to limit out on rainbow trout (5) between 13 and 17 inches while trying to catch crappie though! Thanks for all the input, I'll keep after 'em!