In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jiffy Pro4

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Fishing Hole!
I picked up a new Jiffy Pro4 10" auger at the St. Paul Ice Show. $520 retail price was reduced to $440 by on of the vendors, and Jiffy was offering a free powerhead bag, or replacement chipper blade. I went with the bag.

I have been able to use it a few times. I'm very impressed! It cuts about 1" of ice per second on the throttle. That will keep up with any 2 stroke auger I have seen. Ice chips fly about 6 feet from the hole! Starting is really easy. Just a squeeze of the throttle and one pull, and it is running. I cut about 200 holes in 4 days through 7-12" of ice with no sign of the tank getting low. I have been told with 2 feet of ice I can expect 150 holes from a tank! That is better than my old 2 stoke auger.

I'll keep updates coming as I use it more.

Comments

• Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Jiffy makes a real nice ice auger, Sure beats the hell out hand drilling all those holes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam
    Jiffy makes a real nice ice auger, Sure beats the hell out hand drilling all those holes

I did that way too many years. First I had a Mora auger. It worked, but was slow. I upgraded to a Strikemaser Lazer hand auger. Better, but still a lot of work when the ice was thick.
    A few years ago, I got a NIMROD adapter to hook a cordless drill to the hand auger bit. That worked good, but really chewed up the batteries.
    I had an old Jiffy 30 that my friend found on a lake a few years back. It did not run, but just took a new fuel line, carb cleaning, and sparkplug and ran like a dream. The only problem is it was LOUD! No muffler at all. Direct port exhaust. That auger could be heard for miles. I have to think that the noise would * fish.
    The new auger is quieter at full throttle than the old one was at idle.
    The only negative I have found with the Pro4 is the weight. It is a heavy power auger.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    If I got to use an arguer to drill thru ice to fish I am staying home.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Ice fishing is a blast, you have to try it.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by edgecam

Ice fishing is a blast, you have to try it.

The lakes never freeze over here in the Carolinas.
  • Options
    edited November -1

That is funny, because I'd rather fish on the ice than out of a boat. I guess it is a geographic preference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got my hand auger sharpened up today. We have about 4" of ice in some of the bays. Going to try and get out in a few days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A few friends and I where out today, and the fishing was slow. I decided to try my hand at a little video since lots of people have been asking me about the new Pro4. Sorry about the video quality. My friend shot this with my phone in the wind. Actually the video is ok, just the audio that sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJs60VjYjhE