In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

boat battery

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited January 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
bought a boat/pontoon[:p]had it winterized,so wondering about the battery.
what is the difference between a car/auto battery and a boat battery[?].is it best to store battery inside/garage in the winter.
do i need to charge the battery everytime after it is used.is there a onboard charger to buy and hookup,or charge at home
thanks,
noah

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mounted a battery maintainer on my boat and whenever I get back from being on the water or when the boat is stored over the winter I just plug it in. Stored outside and 4 years of cold winters and it hasn't failed to start yet.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the best RV type battery with the both taps (cylinder and screw posts) Put inside in winter, separate base from concrete.
    Charge as needed.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Mine stay in my boats all the time. I fish year round.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bring all my warm weather use batteries in for the winter and charge them 2-3 times. And yes-Keep them off the concrete slab, just a piece of plywood is sufficient. I buy batteries at the local K-Mart when they are on sale when I need a new one. I normally buy their better marine batteries for the boats and they last 5-6 years easy. The marine batteries are designed to hold up longer when you have alot of electrical usage and don't run the engine assuming the engine has an alternator for charging purposes. Otherwise a good auto battery may surfice.
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use marine deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor. I use the biggest batteries that I can fit in my compartment. I use a marine starting battery and I leave my batteries in and charge them every time I come off the water. I have a built in battery charging system that works wonders. For years I haved use EverStart batteries from Walmart and ant time i have had an issue they replace them under warrenty. I would recomed as the others have said if you do not use them constantly remove them and store in a place where they will not be exposed to extreme temps. I would also give them a slow charge from time to time when not in use. Be careful where you do it as they do put off a gas and should never be storeed or sharged
    near an open flame.

JMO
  • Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Liv2Fish
    I use marine deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor. I use the biggest batteries that I can fit in my compartment. I use a marine starting battery and I leave my batteries in and charge them every time I come off the water. I have a built in battery charging system that works wonders. For years I haved use EverStart batteries from Walmart and ant time i have had an issue they replace them under warrenty. I would recomed as the others have said if you do not use them constantly remove them and store in a place where they will not be exposed to extreme temps. I would also give them a slow charge from time to time when not in use. Be careful where you do it as they do put off a gas and should never be storeed or sharged
    near an open flame.

JMO

Enjoy the winter and try to get back on the lake ASAP
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    thanks guys[;)]for all the info
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I read this article on a large farm corp. If you stop to think of a company that owns or runs a fifty ,( or larger ),section farm.The machines they have all have batteries. So they might have thousands of bucks in batteries on there books. What they do with all their batteries that will not be used for three to seven months , is drain them, ( they store the acid thats drained ),then turn the batteries upside down. They claim that using or charging the batteries weakens,or wears the plates in the battery , causing the battery to short out between plates. Just saying.