In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Teaching My Grandaughter

sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Fishing Hole!
My 4yr old grandaughter and I have a special bond that started the first day I got to hold her. We have been talking about fishing since this past winter. She is very excited about going fishing with her Papaw. With very little encouragement,"we" also decided to release them, after photos, so they can go back to their families, she says. Took her to Wal-Mart and she picked out a Barbie combo. Then, back at my shop, where I live, we practiced casting and reeling-in. She's a natural and releases the button at the exact right point of the cast. Hell, I know adults that can't do that.I set up a cardboard target on the floor, 12' away and she hit it, first cast! Can't wait to take her out to a nearby city lake. They have 3 floating fishing docks that are well- baited. I also got her a light-weight float vest to wear anytime we're around water. Hope she learns to enjoy the fishing experience and we can go often.

Comments

• Options
    Liv2FishLiv2Fish Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a lucky man. I am still waiting for my first grandchild. oh those will be the day my friend. Hope she catches a bunch
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Way to go PaPaw! These are times she will remember 20, 30 years from now. I take my 2 granddaughter fishing every chance I get. They are 12 and 15 but still want to go. So far it has kept them away from boys.[:D]
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, best laid plans! She got to spend the nite Monday so we could go out early next morn. Took 2 cameras along but got blown away before we got started. OK had 30mph wind all day with gusts to 45mph!Lightened the disappointment with shopping at Wal-Mart, Sonic Drive-In lunch, back to my shop to watch the 2 Barbie DVDs we bought, while we ate ice cream cones I made and then naps for both. She still hasn't lost her enthusiasm and can't wait to try again. My, what that tiny girl does to me! I retired after 3 divorces and 21yrs in the Army Infantry as a Drill Instructor, First Sergeant and Sergeant Major with a closet full of some really bad guns. Yet, there I was, watching Barbie movies with a 4yr old. Have I lost all shame?!!
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lost all shame ?Hardly. You just get to enjoy a little of that
    saftey you provided guarding the wall.thanks
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sgm hag
    Well, best laid plans! She got to spend the nite Monday so we could go out early next morn. Took 2 cameras along but got blown away before we got started. OK had 30mph wind all day with gusts to 45mph!Lightened the disappointment with shopping at Wal-Mart, Sonic Drive-In lunch, back to my shop to watch the 2 Barbie DVDs we bought, while we ate ice cream cones I made and then naps for both. She still hasn't lost her enthusiasm and can't wait to try again. My, what that tiny girl does to me! I retired after 3 divorces and 21yrs in the Army Infantry as a Drill Instructor, First Sergeant and Sergeant Major with a closet full of some really bad guns. Yet, there I was, watching Barbie movies with a 4yr old. Have I lost all shame?!!

This proves that you are a real man. I too have played barbies and also have been dressed up like a fairy princess. Men do these things for their daughters and granddaughters without hesitation.

This coming from a former Marine E-6 who was a 2531, 0321 and taught jungle survival in the Philippines. And I too have many bad guns.[:D]
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Fishing with grandkids is the best! I have six with "one in the hanger" and two (the only two girls) live with me. The oldest is 11 and I started her fishing with me at four also. We started in freshwater but at six started to teach her to surfish at the Outer Banks. Now, five years later, she can throw metal with the best of them! She has her own 8' Penn with a old Penn 704 and she can get out there with the Hopkins lure, let me tell you. Her sister, now eight, is "working up" with her 7' Penn and Penn 712. Nothing like standing in the water up to your knees with your two grandaughters heavin' Hopkins and Gators at the bluefish in the surf[:D]. Just us and the birds! Loading up the 4x4 and the girls in three weeks for the annual trek to Kill Devil Hills and the north side of Oregon Inlet....Nothin' Could be Finer....[:D]
  • Options
    redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and she thinks were just fishin.....